Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

tilt steering quit / oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:51 PM
jdh
Default tilt steering quit / oil leak

I have a 1995 Millenia with 150,000 miles on it, still running okay though burns and leaks some oil. The oil seems to come down to the oil filter, but the filter is sealing off good so I think its somewhere above. Also, the power tilt steering wheel began to work only intermittently at first, then quit altogether. I figure its a wiring problem somewhere, but the Chiltons book I have says nothing about it. I saw where someone else posted the same no-tilt problem before, but there were no responses. Any suggestions?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Default RE: tilt steering quit / oil leak

the motors for the tilt wheel seem to be a problem. try using the switch to adjust the wheel to the position you like, then turn off the automatic feature. new/used motors come up on ebay once in a while. i have a brand new one i got for 20 bucks.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:46 PM

Oil pressure sending unit is right up above the oil filter. If they leak it is usually fairly substantial but could be just dribbling as well.

Tilt motors do seem to be somewhat common but so is the tilt relay. Only fuse that might affect system would probably be the 30 Amp "DOOR LOCK" fuse in the underdash box but would not have power locks only. Pic of Tilt relay location below. Straight up above the brake pedal. Should have 6 wires to it.

Two are White w/ Green stripe and are 12 volt input from the door lock fuse.

Red and Blue wires go to the tilt motor. With connector unplugged from relay, 12 volts to Red and grounding the Blue will tilt up. Reverse power and ground to these two wires and will tilt down.

Black is ground wire. Ground point is right side of passenger footwell just in front of the door opening.

The White wire and Red w/ White wire connect to the CPU and are the command signals for tilt up and down. Using a jumper wire to backprobe the connector while still connected to the relay and Grounding the White wire is tilt up command, Grounding the Red w/ White stripe is command tilt down.

Hope that helps to isolate down to at least ruling out the relay, motor, and power source

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/512FA80741EC412C8A2B1782BCDFE7F4.gif[/IMG]

Old 09-08-2006, 12:24 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum since buying my 98 2.5 millenia about 2 month ago. When I got the car my tilt wasn't working either. The auto feature didn't do anything at all and the manual tilt would work if I beat the steering wheel and still sometimes wouldn't work. One day is was bored and tired of this problem. I removed the steering column 2 piece cover and tracked down the tilt motor. On the 98 it is located under the under dash panel to the left side of the steering column. The motor looks very similar to a power window motor. It is held to the column by 4 bolts and has one connector. After removing it and opening it up on my bench, I found a nasty, dirty, burnt mess. I sprayed the contacts and the internal components clean and a very thin sanding of the contacts on the internal rotor. (VERY THIN SANDING!!) These contacts are very thin but were burnt from the starter contacts over time. After lubing the ends and putting it back together in the car, the entire system started to work, even the auto feature. I haven't had any problems with it since. I hope this helps and can save you some money since my local dealer is asking for $175.00 and 2 days to wait for it.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:22 PM

Babyheuy and kennin gave you perfect ways to fix your tilt problem. I have the same problem and i got tired of my steering wheel being to high so i pressed down on the switch and if the steering wheel is straight i would lightly hit the bottom of the steering when a few times till it starts working, i know its messed up but if you want it to work just for now. it worked for me and it might work for you temporarly of course.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:28 AM

TBIRD, I agree completely with you that KENINN and BABYHUEY are very knowledgeable mechanics. But this forum is not to determine who is the best tech nor is it the place to put another person down. This place is to put our ideas and expertise together to help each other out. I’m not a tech, I’m just a DIY individual who tried to fix his own tilt steering problem and found a way of doing so with out spending any money. I just wanted to forward this on to who ever have this problem. Maybe after trying KENINN and BABYHUEYS suggestion they still can’t resolve it. It seems that you have this problem also with your Milli. Hope this can help you too.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:36 AM

I dont see where you got that i was puting anyone down, i actually would hit the steering wheel and it would start to work im not jokin. I just figured that it might work for you temporarly. You just took it the wrong way, its alright that happens!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:35 PM

Tbird, I guess I misunderstood your intentions. I have seen many forums turn bad and I just didn't want this one to do the same.