Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Temperature dial not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Default Temperature dial not working

Friends,
The temperature control dial on my 2000 Milly quit working the other day and I haven't a clue why. The display, mode selection and fan works fine but I can no longer adjust the temperature on the dial. It is stuck at 77 degrees.The "auto" button in the center of the dial turns on but you still can't adjust the temperature. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
Chris

Old 03-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Default RE: Temperature dial not working

I just looked at a similar problem on a 98 last week except it was stuck at 72.
You might try popping the dial **** off and making sure that the shaft going into the control head is actually being turned. If **** base is broken then this can cause the problem. If **** is ok andboth the display and heater output temperature are both stuck at 77 then the dial switch has failed in the A/C amplifier. This switch is unfortunately not available as a separate service part to repair. The only serviceable parts are the **** and illumination bulb.[:@]The entire A/C amp/ control head assembly is available and it runs just over $600 for the part alone.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:36 PM

Really appreciate the suggestion. If you could indulge me one more time and tell me if there is an easy way to pop that **** off without breaking it or the plastic around it I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks again for the information and let's keep our fingers crossed it's just a **** problem only.
Thanks again,
Chris

Old 03-30-2007, 06:26 PM

It should just pull straight off like your radio volume ****. Warming the **** with a hairdryer can sometimes help loosen a stubborn one. Am not very optimistic that it is the **** but sure am hoping that it is. Was wrong on the price of $600. There are actually two pieces to the unit as shown in diagram below. The front part that you seein car is the climate control unit, and rear is the A/C amplifier. The control unit retails at $839 and amp is $720. Suspect you have control unit problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/CCFF2FBB8E994F4895E2F7C5B21F00BB.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2007, 10:04 PM

Should get a chance to work on it over the next 3 days. Thanks for the diagram and instructions. I'm sure it will come in handy.
Chris

Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM

If you do find that the climate control is faulty and not just a **** then check link below for a very good used parts locator. You can even look in your own state or locale and compare prices. Part to look for is the Heater/AC control. Can get what looks to be entire assembly for $250 or so.

http://car-part.com/

Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Default Temperature dial not working

I'm having that same problem. I took my car to the dealer and they're trying to charge me $1900 for the part alone. Is that right? The guys says that it's has it's own computer. I've checked online for used parts and i found a few good prices. Can you click on the link and let me know if this is the correct part I would need? It's the same issue StrobyEMT is having.

http://www.autopartsfair.com/mazda-u..._controls.html

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by VampLestat
I'm having that same problem. I took my car to the dealer and they're trying to charge me $1900 for the part alone. Is that right? The guys says that it's has it's own computer. I've checked online for used parts and i found a few good prices. Can you click on the link and let me know if this is the correct part I would need? It's the same issue StrobyEMT is having.

http://www.autopartsfair.com/mazda-u..._controls.html

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it.
these are usually all over ebay. there are 2 different ones, for 2000my and before, they are all the same, black. 2001my and later, they are color coded, and a different part number. i dont know if the early will work in the late, and vice versa. they generally cost around 35 bucks on ebay, i have gotten them for as low as 20, and i have 2 spares. i just swap out the whole unit, and they are big bucks new. they are really easy to change, the part of the dash it is in is held in with clips and 2 screws, and pops out in about 5 min. the unit is attached to the inside of the dash that has been removed. one caveat, the unit is attached to the amplifier, which some call the computer/control unit. if you do get an ebay one, make sure it is included, it usually is. good luck
i finally found one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...Q5fAccessories

price is high, tho. see the amplifier attached to the back? it is white. make sure you get that.

Last edited by keninn; 06-03-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:45 AM

OMG, Thanks a bunch Keninn. That really helps. If I can do it myself, then I can save myself tons of money. I really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:06 AM

I have the unit coming in tomorrow. How do I pop out the older Heater / AC Controller?

Quick Reply: Temperature dial not working