Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

A simple plan, er, question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Default A simple plan, er, question

Can the super charger be bad even if it has absolutely no oil in it?

thank you,

ryan

Old 07-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ryanjeanes
Can the super charger be bad even if it has absolutely no oil in it?

thank you,

ryan
of course. but the question now is why do you ask? it is very common for owners to always pick the most expensive part when they are having problems

Old 07-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Hey Keninn,

My bro has his theories. So I have to quarterback this thing best I can since I can't do the work myself - rest assured, as soon as we get this thing running I'll be putting a pricetag and a phone number on it - I love the car but cannot go through this again.

Anyway, let me tell you everything. We took the car to a shop. They listened to it only! Shop said "Yeah, I gotta tell you that's a supercharger that's bad! You also got an exhaust leak."

I thought it was a good theory but still wanted bro to check coilpacks and plugs. To look at the supercharger you gotta take the top of the engine off, we did. I told bro, "Let's look at coilpacks" He said sure. 1 thru 4 looked good. Guess what on 5 and 6? Covered in oil! Huh? Bro says a gasket is loose or blown, he tightened it. Packs reinstalled. Supercharger checked and has no oil in it, it actually looks fine.

Car started up again. It runs great cold! Then throw it into reverse and brum brum brum, missing again. Dammit.

My position Kennin is that I don't know a lot about cars; my bro knows much more; and you know a ****load; so I have to figure this whole thing out. The only reason I asked the question about the supercharger is because bro asked.

SOOOOO

Do I need to get a new coil pack and switch out 1 thru 6 till the missing hopefully stops?

Thank you Kennin,

Ryan

Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 AM

first off, "tightening things" does more harm than good. the valve cover gaskets are old, and have shrunk and hardened. anyone who has dealt with cars a lot would know this. your "bro" needs to go back to school. next, tightening them only exceeds the proper torque for the valve cover bolts, this can crack/break the valve cover. changing the gaskets is what is needed for oil in the wells.
what "shop" did you take the car to? was it a place that repairs cars, or someplace else, like a florist shop? if it was a place that ONLY repairs cars, i would not take it there again. unless the guy who "listened" to it is psychic, or maybe has superhearing, but even then, there is no way someone could tell the compressor is bad just by listening at idle.

is the check engine lite on? is it flashing? what codes are there?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM

hey keninn, no there are no codes now, just the missing which is identical

I can get a new coil pack unless there is some other way to test them without replacing them one by one and starting the car.

I've looked on ebay, all new, no used. Any idea where I can get used?

Ryan