Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

some simple help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:24 AM
Default some simple help!

hey guys, so, I am a VW guy, I have my own club and a 2000 audi s4 and a 1990 GLI, slammed on 14x10's. i really need your help here.

my girl has a mazda 3, and is somewhat into cars. more into the german thing, but, her dad bought her the car after her first two years of college.

i have 2 problems.

1. she got hit by an 18-wheeler earlier on the highway, shredding many parts of her car to bits(it's an 08 with under 10k)

2. her parents don't like me because i go to a community college(they've admitted this, snobs I know!)

anyway, I really really really want to get under her dads good graces and it is my obligation as a man to help my lady with her car.

I don't know if I'm set out to do the work myself or not, but I do have tools and do all the work on my cars.

I know some one who can do the paint for me relatively inexpensively.

my question is for you guys... cheap OEM parts??? us VW/Audi guys use germanautoparts.com, it's super cheap, really all OEM and has next day delivery.

but i have no idea where to go about getting parts for her car.

so far, what I know she needs is:

-rear drv side door handle
-rear drv side 1/4 panel(probably a BITCH to ship)
-rear drv side wheel(also, the wheel is somewhat bent. i'm assuming that since it's FWD it doesn't have tie rods out back but I'm not sure waht would need to be replaced since it is bent...ideas? thanks!)
-rear drv. side door
-drv. side rocker pannel
-rear drv. side molding
-rear drv. side door seal(the seal is all ****ed up, since, the door got pushed in...i'm assuming it might need some sort of hinge or something, too?)

anyway, my apologies for my ignorance on some of these things.

and again I can probably do all the labor myself, or at least most of it. i just need a place to get parts... I'm 90% sure all of the items i listed are destroyed and not worth trying to fix. definitely NOT the door or rear panel. maybe i will post pictures when i get some but they are gruesome.

at first this guy was kinda trying to blame the accident on her, but by the time i got there adn the cops were there, he was admitting it was his fault.

anyway, i really appreciate your time for reading all of this and will be thankful for all your feedback.

-tek

Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 AM

aww man bro sorry to hear that, good thing shes ok, but if she has insurance then they should b doing all the work...but by the looks of that list....its gonna be declared totaled or atleast it should be.

sorry to say but parts are not cheap for this car since its a 1st gen 5th year, the only thing that has changed between the years is the bumpers and paint options, everything between 04-09 is interchangeable.

your not going to be able to get a quarter panel from dealer(some people refer to the fenders as quarter panels, the ones im talking about are the rear ones) w/o getting a whole shell.

Believe it or not ebay has a couple of those items but not all, going from OEM im going to throw this number out as a possible cost ~$1800-2300. My suggestion is to just have the insurance deal with it, good luck buddy

Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tracker
aww man bro sorry to hear that, good thing shes ok, but if she has insurance then they should b doing all the work...but by the looks of that list....its gonna be declared totaled or atleast it should be.

sorry to say but parts are not cheap for this car since its a 1st gen 5th year, the only thing that has changed between the years is the bumpers and paint options, everything between 04-09 is interchangeable.

your not going to be able to get a quarter panel from dealer(some people refer to the fenders as quarter panels, the ones im talking about are the rear ones) w/o getting a whole shell.

Believe it or not ebay has a couple of those items but not all, going from OEM im going to throw this number out as a possible cost ~$1800-2300. My suggestion is to just have the insurance deal with it, good luck buddy
well i'm not sure exactly how it will go.. not sure if she will be getting a quote somewhere or what. she is going to call her insurance company in the morning.

i mean typically what happens, at least in my experience, is you get a quote and then you get paid what the quote is for from the insurance company, given it's approved and whatnot. in this case i have friends and some ability to fix things without bringing it to a shop, and for example, the bumper is scratched up -- however she might not want to have that painted or replaced. it might be worth it for her to keep the extra say 900 that would be assessed to replace the part and have it painted.

i looked on the first thing that came up when i searched "OEM" which was some OEM site selling mazda, mitsu etc. products

they had the quarter panels, but only for a hatch, hers is a sedan(most unfortunately, IMO the hatchs are way cooler) and it was about 450 dollars. the door was also about 450 dollars. i'm just hoping there is a place we can get all of this and potentially cheaper, and maybe save on some shipping that way too. it would be nice to walk away with extra cash in hand as she is pretty shaken up from all of it and avoided driving home for hours and hours afterwards.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 AM

The insurance company will be picking up the tab. Also, they will want a professional place doing all the work regardless of cost. Even if a check is written, if it costs more, the insurance will pay it because they underestimated the cost. They will not want you or any other boyfriend touching the car and will not want the 'I found a cheap place for paint'. You do not pay the bills and you are not married to her. You are in no way responsible for fixing the car. Find another way to win over the parents or find a new girl.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Aubrey
The insurance company will be picking up the tab. Also, they will want a professional place doing all the work regardless of cost. Even if a check is written, if it costs more, the insurance will pay it because they underestimated the cost. They will not want you or any other boyfriend touching the car and will not want the 'I found a cheap place for paint'. You do not pay the bills and you are not married to her. You are in no way responsible for fixing the car. Find another way to win over the parents or find a new girl.

Amen to that!
Sometimes the f.....g you get ain't worth the f.....g you take.
Bob.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 PM

well, to be honest with you what i meant was if we have it checked out and get a check written, then that money is hers to spend regardless of whether she fixes the car or not, correct? I have friends, I know shops. My friends father owned a shop and sold it because he did not need the money and is getting older. He just does stuff out of his garage now, which includes painting. I would only have him do the paint for us.

and in fact, the way my dad won over my grandparents was because he did work on their cars(he was a part time mechanic for an independent VW shop) and my mothers cars and basically did the work for free time and time again and then they loved him. despite both my father and my grandfather not being around anymore, my grandmother and mother both admit that is how he got under their good graces. so being able to help her out inexpensively would be much appreciated by her family.

ahah, and there's no way I'm finding a new girl cuz this ones a keeper

Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 PM

Some will write you a check. Some will only pay a shop. It depends on the insurance company. It will also depend if they total the car. If it gets totalled, then it's a check, no car, then go buy one. In which case you still won't be doing any work.

Ok. If that's how you feel. I don't think this is the right place to preach on relationships. Saying that... knowing what I know now in life and knowing what you wrote, you're gonna get burned on that relationship. Fathers aren't looking for a guy to work on their daughter's car nowadays. Father's are looking for a guy that can afford a guy (you) to work on their daughter's car. And if you work on that car and it isn't like new or something is f'd up, you are doubly burned.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 PM

Some will write you a check. Some will only pay a shop. It depends on the insurance company. It will also depend if they total the car. If it gets totalled, then it's a check, no car, then go buy one. In which case you still won't be doing any work.

Ok. If that's how you feel. I don't think this is the right place to preach on relationships. Saying that... knowing what I know now in life and knowing what you wrote, you're gonna get burned on that relationship. Fathers aren't looking for a guy to work on their daughter's car nowadays. Father's are looking for a guy that can afford a guy (you) to work on their daughter's car. And if you work on that car and it isn't like new or something is f'd up, you are doubly burned.
you're right about the second part, i probably shouldnt have even mentioned it... but i figured some people might say "why do u even care about fixing some one elses car" lol.

the car is not totalled. they looked at it today. i'm sure they DIDN'T consider that the rear beam is probably bent and possibly the strut/mounts damaged due to the wheel being pushed in slightly, but even after that is inspected by a mechanic, i don't think it will be totaled.

adn yea honestly if it was a matter of doing a few things that could save some money and the insurance was out of the way(say it was her fault and she didnt want to go through insurance) then I would DEFINITELY be doing the rocker, the suspension/beam, anything with the wheel/tire and potentially the door too. the only thing i can't do or take care of for nothing is weld, and i have a friends father who coudl take care of that for me. we PROBABLY will 100% go through insurance, it just sucks because i have friends who have horror stories of being hit adn then when they get their car back, it ends up being filled with NON-OEM parts, some of which end up falling off(moldings) and the lips and bumpers dont line up with the fenders and so on.

i just would not want so much work done to this car and have it not be up to par, devaluing her newer car. i guess i'll just have to be ready to make sure what is done is perfect and that OEM parts are used. because if they aren't, the insurance company will be hearing about it.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 PM

It's a relatively new car....Get it fixed right. Sounds like some serious damage.

I agree with Aubrey....if you try to fix it and it doesn't get done right, you're going to be to blame.

Hell....if you really want to help her out, just pay the deductible. For the dozens of hours you'd have to put into fixing that car, I have to think that's really the cheaper way out.

I gotta think there are other reasons the parents may not think too kindly of you other than community college. Figure out what those things are and start working there. You'll make WAY more progress than in trying to fix her car.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Depending on the insurance company, sometimes if they declare the vehicle totaled, they issue a check either too the registered owner or the lein holder, or both.
In some states (california for sure) if the vehicle is totaled, the registered owner can buy it back from the insurance company at pennies on the dollar.
You might look into that aspect.
Bob.

Quick Reply: some simple help!