Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Replacing Belts

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Default Replacing Belts

I just noticed today that beltsof my engine(i think it's the steering wheel and alternator belts) have some cracks in them.I noticed that some of the thread pattern was cracked and missing. If i wanted to doit myself would it be hard to replace this belts. Is there a place were i can download the instructions on how to install this belts. Or do you recomend to leave this job to a mechanic?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Default RE: Replacing Belts

dunno about the 2.5, but on the 2.3 there are 2 accessory belts. both have a spring loaded tensioner, and that sucker is ON there. to remove either belt, you have to relieve the tension(crank the tensioner counterclockwise), and the belt will slip right off. sounds easy, right? haha. very little room in there, you might be able to use a standard wrench, but you may not have the strength to move the tensioner as much as you need to. to get the new belt back on, you will have to crank the tensioner to the stop, and then it will just barely go on. an extra set of hands is really nice here. i have a special tool that is real long, and can give the leverage needed, but on like the alternator belt, i had to remove the upper radiator hose to get room for it. you will also have to remove the lower splash shield to access the belt.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:22 PM

I have the 2.5 engine. Is there a digram out therewith the instructions showing how to do it or just the plain instructions? also once the belts are loose and you put the new ones on, how do you know how much to tighten the belts?

Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 PM

i think on the 2.5 the tensioners are not automatic. so there will be an adjusting bolt, and a lock down nut. i have never seen a 2.5, so i dont know how exactly, but i have done them on other cars that are manual. all i can say about adjustment is that it should be snug, not tight. belts will stretch with use, continental v belts have a patented process where they shrink over time, which counteracts the stretching.