Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Oil Cooler coolant hoses

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Default Oil Cooler coolant hoses

Had upper coolant hose for oil cooler go bad. Spent last two hours attempting to access upper inlet to remove upper hose. Running out of options cannot get any tools close to relieve pressure on clamp and remove damaged hose. The only options I know of is to remove oil cooler entirely form side of engine block to provide easier access or to remove A/C compressor. Either option I would rather avoid. Any suggetions? I have a right angled pliers but is is not long enough. May have to go to harware store and buy the long pliers as last option.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by lgibbons1
Had upper coolant hose for oil cooler go bad. Spent last two hours attempting to access upper inlet to remove upper hose. Running out of options cannot get any tools close to relieve pressure on clamp and remove damaged hose. The only options I know of is to remove oil cooler entirely form side of engine block to provide easier access or to remove A/C compressor. Either option I would rather avoid. Any suggetions? I have a right angled pliers but is is not long enough. May have to go to harware store and buy the long pliers as last option.
i recently did this. the o ring on the cooler was hardened, and it was leaking oil. the 2.5 does not have a cooler, you can plug the hoses, but you will still have to pull the oil filter head. i was able to just pull the cooler, which was a lot more difficult than i thought, and i could not get at that hose. so probably you do have to pull the whole assembly to get at the hose. i went in prepared, got all the gaskets/hoses in case i had to pull off the whole assy. i even got a used 2.5 non cooler head, but i didnt use it

Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM

Was able to complete the repair, the trick was going to The Home Depot and buying an extra long skinny screwdriver able to pry old damaged hose off; bought replacement hose at Advance Auto for safety bout two feet. The trick I somehow came up with to get new hose back one was I to a coat hanger bent to slight curve (no jagged edges). Inserted inside new hose go give support and eventually was able to get enough force to get hose on the inlet. The final task was getting the new clamp to tighten. The extra long screwdriver was helpful eventually was able to get clamp to tighten. The leftover hose I am going to use to replace the other hose but not now I need to give my hands a break.