Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

new member - stalls at stops...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Ben
Default new member - stalls at stops...?

Pulling up to a stop, the car stalls out. Not always, but sometimes as often as five times a day. It happens often while in Drive, but has also happened (rarely, in comparison) while in Park.
It starts back up immediately, like there was no problem. From time to time (very infrequently) the car will get herky-jerky while accelerating - as if it can't decide which gear is best.

Could this be caused by a worn timing belt?

I've also thought of the following possibilities:
Air Intake, dirty fuel injectors, fuel filter...
I'm really hoping it's not a transmission (torque converter, shifting solenoid) issue.

What am i over looking?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Default RE: new member - stalls at stops...?

Try cleaning the MAF hotwire and throttlebody.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Ben

MAF? - Mass Air Flow?
that's the little sensor attached to the Air Intake Manifold, right?

sorry for my confusion, i don't know a lot about cars... yet. I guess this is where i start.'

We'll see what happens

Thanks hixx

Old 09-27-2007, 01:02 PM

Yes detach the rubber hose going from the air cleaner assembly and the throttlebody. The mass airflow sensor is between the airbox and throttlebody in that hose. The hotwire is pretty tiny. Use contact cleaner on it. Use carb spray on the throttlebody.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Ben

thanks again hixx.
hopefully i can make some time to get into it this evening after work,or perhaps this weekend.

I just thought of another clue. I don't know if it matters or not, but if I run the AC while driving, it's less likely to stall(only happened once with AC on). It seems as though the RPMs are boosted just enough when the AC is engaged to keep the car from stalling.
Like i said, i don't know if that's useful info or not. But, i figured i'd mention it.

I'll let you know how it runs after i get into it.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Ben

Thanks again Hixx...

i don't want to Jinx it, but so far so good. I have not had the vehicle stall so far...

Side Question: what should the idle be running at when in Drive (at a stop) and inPark?

Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 AM
CHR

This seems like an 'idleling' problem. When your a-c is turned on, it cause the rpm to rise, thus decreasing the chance of a stall as you approach a stop. You might want to re-adjust your idle. The problem on your car does not seem too significant. I really think that's the problem. Try getting a tune-up. It could possibly help.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Ben

has stalled out a few more times this week.
The RPMs seem inconsistent. when pulling up to a stop or when slowing, the RPMs don't drop down as low as they should (will sometimes stay over 1100 RPMs without applying accelerator)... makes for unsafe breaking.

CHR,
When you suggest "tune up", what specifically do you suggest?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Ben

I keep reading about transmissions possibly causing such a problem. Is it possible that a transmission that does not disengage could causethe engine to stall out?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 PM

It could be your idle air control valve is sticking and cleaning the T-body did not get the IAC clean. As far as a trans problem causing it to not idle it is not uncommon for the torque converter to remain in lockup and stall the car but that would not be a low idle it would just abruptly die. It should also set a code in the PCM.The base idle rpm is adjustable so i would try bumping it up a bit. It is a screw on the t-body. Not the one with a nut on it or any screw that is directly connected to the throttle mechanism. It is a screw that allows more air to flow through the throttlebody. Kinda hard to see but it is there.

Quick Reply: new member - stalls at stops...?