Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

miller cycle questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Default miller cycle questions

HI
I am new on here,,from the UK.. I am a former Mazda Technician and the owner of 3 Mazda 323's... but we never see miller cycles over here.. im looking to buy a Mazda Xedos 9 2.3 supercharged miller cycle.. i know Mazdas are very good cars but dont know much about the reliability of the miller cycle engine.. so i have a few questions

1. are the engines and super chargers reliable? any common problems??

2. when is the cambelt due for replacement

3. there are not many of these cars over here in the uk so are non genuine mazda parts for these easy to get???

Thanks
Alan

Last edited by alank; 08-29-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by alank
HI
I am new on here,,from the UK.. I am a former Mazda Technician and the owner of 3 Mazda 323's... but we never see miller cycles over here.. im looking to buy a Mazda Xedos 9 2.3 supercharged miller cycle.. i know Mazdas are very good cars but dont know much about the reliability of the miller cycle engine.. so i have a few questions

1. are the engines and super chargers reliable? any common problems??

2. when is the cambelt due for replacement

3. there are not many of these cars over here in the uk so are non genuine mazda parts for these easy to get???

Thanks
Alan
1. we have 2 99's, both right at about 130k. so far, no compressor problems. like any used vehicle, a lot depends on the prior owner's maintenance, or lack thereof

2. cambelt is due at 105k, or, if you live in california, 60k. i still dont know how that works. but, realistically, the few belts that have been changed all look new. the motor is non interference, the consensus is to just let it go till it breaks. i plan on changing the belt at 200k.

3. there are some non genuine parts, but you have to be careful. i just did a rack boot. i saw the boot was torn, so i ordered 2 sets, boots and tie rod ends. the boots were empi brand, and real buttco. the diameter is just too small, and they are not long enough. they fit INSIDE the original boot, which is what i did, to temporarily seal till the factory boots get here. of course, i had to then get it aligned, and will have to do it all over again when the factory boots get here. the tie rod ends were about 10mm shorter than the factory, on the threaded end. i dont like that, because less threaded area means weaker. so, again, factory stuff is coming to replace them. i also replaced all 4 rotors, but i used brembo, which fit like factory. i can guarantee you the motor mounts are bad, they are liquid filled, and only buttco is available aftermarket. mostly made in india. beware of those. i just changed the steering tilt motor on the black car, but those are genuine only. i have changed so many axles i lost track. they seem to last about 60k, some less. i get them locally, lifetime warranty, and way easier for me to process. the last one i put on is chinese made, but it was new, and it seems to be holding up pretty well. i have changed both radiators, one was brass/copper, and it had no drain plug. i took it back, and got the more expensive aluminum/plastic, but it looked/fit/performs like genuine, and again, they have lifetime warranty. very few of the parts are available aftermarket, and you need to beware of any non genuine part.

btw, i also had an 88 323gtx-great car, and an 88 323 gt.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 AM

thanks ken