Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

miller cycle engine smoking

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Default miller cycle engine smoking

hey all you mazda owners. whats up? i was hoping you guys could held me with my problem.i am having a problem with my car fouling out one of my plugs.i have the miller cycle engine. my motor smokes and i believe it is coming from mt super charger. i pulled off the front intercooler and there was some oil in the pipe. this causes one of my spark plugs to foul out from time to time. my car only has 47,000 miles on it.someone told me that the charger was pulling oil in from somewhere. has anyone had this problem.the check engine light begines to bink when this happens.i can floor it and its seems to correct its self sometimes. also it begins to make an ugly clanking sound from the engine. any help would be useful. thanks chris

Old 05-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Default RE: miller cycle engine smoking

Have you pulled the codes from the CEL (check engine light)? Do that first! But there is no light code for a failed S/C.

If the seals on your S/C are finished, the clanking sound is the incompressible oil going through the impellers. It likely smokes more on start and when pulling away from prolonged idling. I have a .pdf replacement guide posted here. And some more photos here. You can find S/C's on eBay quite often, I got mine there for $300 US. Hope it helps. If it gets to bad, you may burn the piston crowns from the oil deposits.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:46 AM

thanks for your help. i did take it in to a mazda dealership and they were unsure why it was acting the way it was. they told me the number 3 cyclinder was missing from time to time.iknow they pulled some codes but dont know what they were.how hard would it be to change the seals in the s/c.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:57 PM

If you could actually find seals for the compressor that is. No internal components available from Mazda to repair. Ony external gaskets. New from Mazda will run you around $3200. There are a few here and there on ebay. Links to a couple below. One would think that if the internal seals were leaking oil then all of the plugs would be getting oil fouled as the intake feeds all of the cylinders and not just #3. Would make double sure of the diagnosis before sinking all of the money into a new compressor when all you needed was a valve stem seal or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-Ma...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-31-2006, 03:58 AM

I have the same problem.

Well for me it just started as a puff of smoke when you first turn the car on after being cold.
Then it started smoking when i used to press on the gas hard.
Now it just smokes like no tomorrow.
Also, i think i hear a sound comming from the supercharger pulley.

Do i have a failed S/C or is it something else?
Please tell me is something else.

Car is a 99 "S". 128k

Old 06-01-2006, 12:38 AM

UP

Old 06-12-2006, 03:32 AM

anybody?

Old 06-12-2006, 11:00 PM

Sounds like a S/C from the way you are describing it getting worse and worse. Especially the graduation into the smoking on hard accel. The only way to really tell for sure is to remove the access plate on top of the charge manifold and see if the impellers are wet with oil. They should be fairly dry. You can also pull the front intercooler to access the front 3 spark plugs. If all three plugs are showing signs of oil fouling then good bet that the common problem would be the compressor.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:06 PM

just for a update,it was the supercharger that went bad.i removed it and upon inspection there was oil in the air intake and some in the supercharger. having it rebuild right now. hope i can remember how it goes back together. do these supercharger go out often, mine only had 35,000 miles on it when it went out. wuld have taken it to the dealership but the 3 year warranty ran out.anyway will keep you posted if i have any problems. take it easy!

Old 09-28-2006, 11:53 PM

wup everyone,i was wondering if u guys could help me with my problem. my supercharger went bad and my repair guy fail throught.do any of u know where i could purchased another one or if someone has a working one that they are selling. any help would b usefull.it is a 2000 mazda millenia special edition. thanks little_cee.

Quick Reply: miller cycle engine smoking