Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Millenia Fuel Tank Quandry

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Default Millenia Fuel Tank Quandry

I'm an old shade-tree mechanic with a new (old) '95 Millenia. I've done a bit of work on it, already, but there's much more to come. I've only recently gotten it running pretty well and took'er for her first fill-up (since I got'er) and was greeted with a fantastically pervasive smell of gasoline inside the car. Upon checking with the local Mazda mechanics, I was told that I had a plastic fuel tank and they were known to have problems - mine is probably cracked. Whoopee.

So, where can I get a replacement and are there metal OEM or aftermarket tanks available? And, is the '95 tank unique or is it interchangeable with any other years? Could I possibly make an effective repair, if I dropped it and took the time?

Thanks from a newbie for any information, aid and succor I might obtain. Sympathy's OK, too.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by AMazedA
I'm an old shade-tree mechanic with a new (old) '95 Millenia. I've done a bit of work on it, already, but there's much more to come. I've only recently gotten it running pretty well and took'er for her first fill-up (since I got'er) and was greeted with a fantastically pervasive smell of gasoline inside the car. Upon checking with the local Mazda mechanics, I was told that I had a plastic fuel tank and they were known to have problems - mine is probably cracked. Whoopee.

So, where can I get a replacement and are there metal OEM or aftermarket tanks available? And, is the '95 tank unique or is it interchangeable with any other years? Could I possibly make an effective repair, if I dropped it and took the time?

Thanks from a newbie for any information, aid and succor I might obtain. Sympathy's OK, too.
dunno about aftermarket, but you might try pulling the back seat, and check to see if the sensor has been messed with. some yahoo's think that is the fuel pump, but to get to the pump, you gotta drop the tank. you will see the wiring going to the sensor, iirc, you gotta pull a plate to get to it. if that is leaking, probably just change the seal, and you're done. if that aint it, look for used. and the 2.5 tank is different from the 2.3, so be careful

Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by keninn
dunno about aftermarket, but you might try pulling the back seat, and check to see if the sensor has been messed with. some yahoo's think that is the fuel pump, but to get to the pump, you gotta drop the tank. you will see the wiring going to the sensor, iirc, you gotta pull a plate to get to it. if that is leaking, probably just change the seal, and you're done. if that aint it, look for used. and the 2.5 tank is different from the 2.3, so be careful
Thanks, Keninn, for the info. I'm still undecided about keeping the thing, but it DO ride nice - as long as I hold my breath. Other issues include CV joints, rough running and no display for the A/C and clock. I've got about $2200 in it so far, including purchase price, knock sensor and EGR valve replacements. I see them advertised for about that price and I'm hesitant to put too much more into the beast. And the paint on the roof, hood and trunk is sunburned with the clear coat peeling.

Things were much easier when I was younger (dumber?) and cars could be easily repaired without a degree in rocket science.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:26 PM

Knock sensor isn't much of an issue unless you have the Milly engine. My knock sensor is shot in my 01 millenia and it isn't makin much of a difference than when it's fixed.