Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Lateral links replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Default Lateral links replacement

Hi!
I need to replace the upper and lateral links on the '95 Millenia. I figured out how to do the upper ones (duh... slap on the forehead) but how does one get out the bolt attaching the lateral link to the xmember? Do I need any special tools? Also a question on the side: when replacing suspension and/or steering components (links, bearings, etc) do they have to be replaced in pairs (left and right) and do the old nuts have to be replaced with new ones? Are there any guides here or the Internet on how to do it? Or in what order? TIA

Old 11-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Default RE: Lateral links replacement

you will have to drop the xmbr. not a lot, just loosen the bolts, DONT REMOVE THEM, and let it come down till you get clearance. remove the bolt/link, reinstall, then, retorque the bolts. the middle link has camber correction on it, you will HAVE to get the car aligned. some alignment shops dont know about this camber correction bold. all the genuine mazda links i have replaced come with a new castle nut.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:57 AM

I got the parts from onlinemazdaparts.com and they look like they are genuine. However they had no castle or any other nuts. I got the parts from them because they were recommended here. Should I inquire with them about the missing pieces? Can they be obtained somewhere else? As for the bolt holding the lateral link: is it supposed to slide out or unscrew?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:06 AM

the bolt slides out. you need to mark the position of the bolt, so when you reinstall it, it is back to the same exact position. it probably will still be off, and it will have to be aligned immediatly, but it will be close. make sure you tell the person aligning it what you did, so they can correct it. if you look at the back part of the bolt, you will see a graduated scale. clean it off really good, and then mark it. i may be wrong on the nuts for the links, it has been a while, perhaps only some of the links came with new nuts. i dont like to reuse old nuts.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Where can I get new nuts like that?