Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

I keep getting Warm Up Catalys codes...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Default I keep getting Warm Up Catalys codes...?

Ok so after clearing the CEL code, after a while I get 2 codes for the warmup catalys?? What is this and what needs to be done to fix this?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:25 AM

More than likely both precats are shot.The precats are welded onto the exh manifolds. What is the mileage on the car?

-Sheldon.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM

The car has 102k miles at the moment. Its a 2002 Millenia S.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM

I have code 431 showing on mine. The mechanic that ran the codes told me it was an exhaust leak ot a bad catalytic coverter but.... I brought it to a muffler shop yesterday and they are telling me that my catalytic converter is fine, it looks new so I don't know but if you find out anything, let me know and I will do the same. I have several people trying to figure this out. Is your TCSOFF/ TCS light coming off and on sometimes?

Old 04-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by lakynnb02
I have code 431 showing on mine. The mechanic that ran the codes told me it was an exhaust leak ot a bad catalytic coverter but.... I brought it to a muffler shop yesterday and they are telling me that my catalytic converter is fine, it looks new so I don't know but if you find out anything, let me know and I will do the same. I have several people trying to figure this out. Is your TCSOFF/ TCS light coming off and on sometimes?
your muffler shop is looking at the wrong cat. your codes are WARM UP, or pre cats. they are part of the exhaust. if your muffler shop "looked" at these, they are contortionists with really teeny heads. from what they told you, i can tell they have teeny brains, so maybe they do have teeny heads. the mechanic that ran the codes needs to go back to school. start taking your car to a REAL shop.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:27 PM

I hear ya!!!! These guys are nuts... I'm getting more info from you than the damn shop that ran the codes. Someone else told me to take the intake off the throttle body and remove 4 screws that hold the throttle body on, remove it also. i will see a really clogged hole in the bottom. take engine cleaner and spray it, it will break up the buildup and that will help with the way the vehicle is running. What ya think?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM

Would these errors cause the car to run slower? I am having issues right now where my 95 Milly S had more torque then my 02 Milly S does.

I like to fix things my self so to fix this what would I need to do? Replace the catalyst converter?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by lakynnb02
I hear ya!!!! These guys are nuts... I'm getting more info from you than the damn shop that ran the codes. Someone else told me to take the intake off the throttle body and remove 4 screws that hold the throttle body on, remove it also. i will see a really clogged hole in the bottom. take engine cleaner and spray it, it will break up the buildup and that will help with the way the vehicle is running. What ya think?
that is to clean the egr, which could be a problem, but most of the time, your car would throw a 0404 code. and that throttle body instructions are only part, you need to also clean the egr valve, which lives near the back of the motor.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by elitescouter
Would these errors cause the car to run slower? I am having issues right now where my 95 Milly S had more torque then my 02 Milly S does.

I like to fix things my self so to fix this what would I need to do? Replace the catalyst converter?
converterS. plural. both exh manifolds. depending on how bad the cats are, they could be clogged. ever take vicodin? same thing happens to you. also, possibly the ecu has gone open loop, and is running on factory default codes, which is less power.