Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Default fuel filter

I was wondering if a knock code would come on if the fuel filter is clogged or if the lines and injectors are clogged, I want to change my filter anyways cause i have had the car for more than 30000 miles and i dont know if the previous owner changed it,i bought the car with 60000 miles on it. I went and looked under my car and i cant find the filter anywere so that means its in the tank, can you get to the filter by taking out the back seat? and do yall think it is worth changing? Do you think the blowing out my injectors could help also?thanks for you help

Old 08-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Default RE: fuel filter

the filter is accessible thru a round plate in the trunk, right near the opening for the skis. pull up the carpet thingy, and you will see it, gold colored, iirc, 3 body screws. depending on how supple you are, you might be able to get at it thru the trunk, i do them sitting on the back seat, going thru the ski opening. there are a couple of ways to take care of the fuel, manual says to pull the fuel pump relay, then start the car. or, let the car sit overnite, and open the fuel tank cap. no matter what, you will spill fuel. it is tight back there, and the filter goes on only one way. if you put it on backwards, you will have all kinds of problems. also, i prefer the mazda part, aftermarket fuel filters have crap for filter medium, and you dont save a lot of money. i would suggest you dont reuse the factory spring hose clamps, get a set of the worm/screw type, they will be a lot easier to take off the next time.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 PM

the problem is i dont have the manual and i dont know where the ralay is at, can you tell me?so do you think a new filter from autozone is good, they are going to charge me 20 bucks for one

Old 08-29-2006, 11:27 PM

a genuine mazda fuel filter is 34.45, with discount, about 25 bucks. 5 bucks savings for an aftermarket fuel filter, probably buttco brand, is not worth it to me. as far as pulling the relay, i never do. the filter is going to make a mess, i just get a couple shop rags, cover the filter, and pull the lines. fuel will drip out all over the place no matter what you do, so waiting is useless to me. if you have the time, the best way is to let the car sit overnite, that way the fuel system will bleed down, then loosen the gas cap to relieve any residual pressure. there is NO way you can avoid spilling some fuel.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:46 AM

What is gonna bleed the system?