Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

First Time Tranny Flush at 107k?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Default First Time Tranny Flush at 107k?

Hello, I own an 2002 2.5 Millenia with 107k on it, mostly highway miles. Never had the tranny fluid changed. It still shifts fine, so does it makes sense to change the fluid for the first time now? Some people say doing so will stir up a lot of crap and ruin it. What is best method? Power flush? Change the filter also, I presume. I am having this done, not DIY. Thanks for any advice regarding this, I love this car and want to keep it going for as long as possible.

Last edited by Oldschooljohn; 06-24-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: forgot to specify engine type
Old 06-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Banned

Change filter.
Drain and fill fluid a few times if an AUTOMATIC!? Not right away, have to drive it for a bit before draining again.
Do not flush with recirculating cleaner.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:07 PM

i would definitely change the fluid. i like the valvoline hi mileage(red label) dex/merc, which is synthetic base. since the fluid has never been changed, i would also drop the pan, and clean it. it will be full of sludge, and the magnet will be covered in metal filings. there is no pan gasket, but most of the filter/gasket kits come with a gasket. otherwise, sealant has to be used. remember that the torque converter is gonna still have about half the old fluid in it, so if you want to do it right, it has to be flushed with a machine, which should get just about all of the old fluid out. the valvoline hi mileage fluids(i also use their hi mileage full synthetic motor oil) have additives to soften seals, so the old wives tale about new fluids making the transmission leak is just that-old wives tale. you should also carefully inspect the rack boots, they are probably torn by now. if you do also have new rack boots installed, i also have new tie rod ends installed, since the ends have to come off to install the boots, and then it has to be aligned. and since you are planning to keep the car, you should inspect all the rear links, the dust boots on the ball joint ends tend to crack, and grease leaks out, and the joint will rapidly wear out. if one joint goes, it will increase the wear on the other joints. i just did this, and the parts are expensive. each side has 3 links, one control arm, and a tie rod end. and it also has to be aligned.