Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

brakes and fog light

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Default brakes and fog light

Hi all, Again I am new to the site, but have a 1999 millenia 2.5 and am wondering, how hard are the front brakes to change( rotors, calipars, and pads). Also anyone ever change the fog light bulb? if so it seems very complicated, am i correct?

Old 06-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Default RE: brakes and fog light

front brakes are pretty much the same as any other car. pump the brakes several times to relieve excess pressure, pull the wheel, remove the lower bolt, the caliper swings up. pop out the pads, recompress the piston, install new pads, done. this is also a good time to change brake fluid. why do you need calipers and rotors? rotors have a minimum thickness, it will be stamped on the rotor. we have 2 99's, and both are well within specs. pads i can see, but if you need calipers, someone is really abusing the brakes. i flush brakes yearly on all our cars. brake fluid is clear, if yours is dark it is overdue. if it is black, it is beyond overdue. i have never had to change a caliper yet. thats about 45 years worth of cars.
not sure on the fog lite, iirc, you have to pull the light assembly. again, very easy. pop off the outer bezel, couple screws/bolts, connector, the light comes out. you might be able to get at it from underneath, but you will have to remove the splash shields, way too much work for me.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 AM

i bought the car a few months back used. The brake pedal was getting soft and when brought to the local shop, they showed me the calipar and it was shot.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 AM

if the caliper is fubar, you need to find out why. if you just change it, it may repeat itself. i have not yet seen any posts about a bad caliper, but there is always a first time. generally speaking, the millenia has excellent brakes. of course, there is no defense against abuse. or poor maintenance.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Just replaced both originalfront & back pads on my 02 Milly with 58k. Both sets of rotors we able to be turned (last time for rear). Ordered ceramic pads with life time warranty. I believe these were the original pads.I do not recommend semi-metalic as these producemuch more dust andwear down rotors faster. Changed out brake fluid at same time and added new grease to caliper pin slides. Should be good to go for another 58K. Saved $$ as dealer wanted $400 for front and $300 for rear replacements.