Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

97 Millenia - 1 Cyl dead and other shooting oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Default 97 Millenia - 1 Cyl dead and other shooting oil

Help,

I have a 97 Mazda Millenia that has 132 K mills on it. I bought it from someone not running and was told it ran fine and then just stopped running. I found it needed a new sending unit which I replaced. Now the car starts and kicks out a lot of smoke. On the front head - the middle cyl has no compression and one on the LEFT SIDE (Passenger side) has pressure but has a lot of oil. When I was doing a pressure check I had both spark plugs out and the far left cyl shot oil out about 8 feet. What could it be? I was told the 2.5 is a non interference motor and was puzzled by the no compression on the middle cyl but very worried about the right cyl that is shooting oil. If I drive it looks like a large smoke screen.

Is this something that can be fixed? Was not sure if the rings are bad or if it was something that can be fixed if I take the head off. Head gasket? New Head? Please HELP.

By the way this engine is already a replacement as it has the markings that it was bought from a junk yard.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 PM

What happens when the oil pressure switch blows is loss of oil pressure to the cams. This eats the left front cam journal first and it's downhill from there. Pull the left valve cover and front cam cap to check it. The compression loss is a bit strange but it could have those cams out of time.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. Just curious. How does the oil get into the spark plug tube so it shoots out? And what should I be looking for on the cam journey and what all should i relace if bad. The number 4 cly did have some compression but not all the time so it could be out of time. (beecause of the cam shaft? Could I contact you with a few questions?
Thanks for all your help because I was figuring it was something to do in the block and figured it would need an engine replacement.

Thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 PM

If the cam journal is ate up then that head and cam will have to be replaced. Metal will be all throughout the engine so both heads and the oil pan will need to be removed and everything cleaned. Oil being pumped out one cylinder usually means a broken ring. Possibly the cam has snapped or jumped time. Lots of possibilities but pulling the front valve cover should would be where i would start.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the additional reply. I will try to pull the cover off on Sunday as I am busy at work and going out of town on Sat. I will let you know what i find.

Thanks

Ben