Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

95 Millenia S timing jumped twice, started, dies and wont restart? why? HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Exclamation 95 Millenia S timing jumped twice, started, dies and wont restart? why? HELP PLEASE!

I have a 95 miilenia S 2.3 that I purchased not running. Was told from guy that he took it to have cat cut and straight piped, then on way home it died( acted like it ran out of gas) and never started again. 100k miles.

we got car home had a friend poke around and see if he could figure out problem, with no luck. Took to shop and there response was compression reading low, engine bad. Uggh

So car sat for a year, then I ran into a good friend and mechanic and told him about the car. He came over and immediately told me he believed the timing had jumped. Sure enough after a grueling half day of tearing into the car, the timing was off! So he looked at the belt, it looked good as did other components, he lined up the timing and put back together.

Turned the key on and IMMEDIATELY the car fired up and purred like a kitten for about a minute, then died. Wouldnt restart again, just cranked over.

After checking several things, he felt timing may have jumped again, so back to tearing car apart, and sure enough it had jumped timing again!

This time to be safe, we bought new belt, cleaned all pulleys etc, double checked and checked again all components, installed NEW belt, lined up, put car back together, turned ignition, and same thing! started, purred, died, cranks, wont start...

No way it jumped timing AGAIN???

Is this even possible?
Also wierd thing happening duriing all this, the power door locks will start clicking steadily when key is in off position but still in ignition, then we try to crank car and it will stop doing that, then randomly start it again... strange??

Another thing we noticed was we didnt hear fuel pump kicking on... but we jumpered the ground and pos and it came on, we tested the continuity, circuit, relay replaced, etc and everythiing showed positive for power...

I just want to drive this baby... been sitting here looking at her for almost 2 years now! PLEASE HELP anyone, everyone!?

thanks so much

Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Default frustrating

i know how frustrating this car can be. ive had a 96 S for almost 3 years now and when it runs,it RUNS!!when it doesnt i feel like running it into a lake.heres a manual for a 96 that has alot of good info.
http://milleniatech.net/docs/

it also has a KJ engine (millercycle) workshop manual that has alot of internal info that would be good to go over in your case.ive been pretty lucky with mine.its usually vacume related in my case but a pain to track them down. this is an awsome colored vacume diagrahm for the 96.the 95 isnt color but still better to follow than the ones under the hood.

http://milleniatech.net/vachoses/

home page below

www.milleniatech.net