Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

95 2.3 Miller Engine low compression, need help/opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:41 AM
Question 95 2.3 Miller Engine low compression, need help/opinion please

Hello,
Me again, this time its about my 2.3 Miller Cycle Supercharged engine, 1995.

I bought this car as is, and not running. However, car was in showroom condition inside and out and only has 110k on it so I figured problem should be easy fix.

Story I got from the person I bought it from was this... He said car was running good, exhaust issues, so he had the CC cut off and straight piped. He was driving home from muffler repair and car died, acted as if it ran out of fuel, and wouldnt start again after that.

I got the car home and had someone dig into it. Was told compression was a little low in a few of the cylinders. Also he mentioned that 3 of the 6 plugs looked as if they were brand new, while the other 3 signs of usage. I know it would be important to know which 3 (front or back) but I cannot remmeber what he told me. If it was back set, I have heard that alot of times auto shops will get so frusterated trying to get to the back 3 that they will just forget it and leave them, only changing out the front... maybe the case here, I dont know.

We did get it to start a few times with starting fluid and idle for a little while with constant pressure on gas pedal. Died once we quit giving it gas.

Took of air filter area parts and started once, it idled by itself, we attempted to drive it and it had no power hardly at all. basically a putt around the block, couldnt get up to speed at all.

I tried to pull codes but since I cant clear old ones and get car running to set any current codes, that is not a great help.

I have heard from one shop I took it too, engine is bad, because compression low.

But I also know this engine is in a league of its own, entirely! I cannot accept the engine with only 110k miles and car in pristine (well babied condition) is no good! I dont live in a huge city, even so, that dont mean I could find an expert on this particular engine... and I need one.

Does this sound like a possible timing issue that may cause the low compression and engine power issue? Maybe the turbo charger went bad? I have no clue, but hopefully someone will.

Thank you for any and all your help