Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

323 Fuel Pump Harnass anyone know the wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Default 323 Fuel Pump Harnass anyone know the wires?

Hi I have a 1988 Mazda 323 that the fuel pump is bad on. It is a internal tank pump. I was wondering does anyone know anything about the wires on the harness that plugs into the pump? Which wire is which? I am thinking of putting a fuel cell in the car and use a external fuel pump, but I really need to know about the wires first. Which is hot, ground...etc

Thank You So Much! Any help would be much appreciated!

Catrina

Old 03-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Default RE: 323 Fuel Pump Harnass anyone know the wires?

Here ya go.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/F0089596F6954A5288D68E75CC3C422D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-10-2006, 10:47 AM

Wow! Thank You so Much for the Quick Response! I appreciate it Very Much!!!
My 14 yr. son is working on this car and Hoping to have it Cherry by the time he is 16 so he has a nice car!

You have a Great Day bkey71!
Catrina

Old 03-10-2006, 04:13 PM

A little more detail to add to bkey's picture as well.

Green wire w/ Red stripe is 12 volt power supply to fuel pump motor.
Blacks are ground wires.
Yellow wire to instument cluster is for the fuel gauge.
White wire with Red stripe to instrument cluster goes to the low fuel light.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:57 PM

Awesome!! Thanks Babyhuey! This helps so Much!. It would be a pain to drop the tank and replace the pump for right now. We are putting a full cell in and a external fuel pump in for right now so we can this little car started and work on the motor.

Thanks for your help!
Have a Great Evening!
Catrina

Old 03-10-2006, 11:55 PM

I have a nother question if you don't mind. Got it hooked up but we have no Power to the Pump. Where does the Power Supply wire got to ? A relay? or Fuse? Would you have a Diagram that shows wear that wire goes ? A Diagram showing the Power Supply wire from the Fuel Pump to What its powered by, assuming in motor.

Do you have a Diagram of the fuel lines back there? Is 3way valve next to the tank what controls the pressure and hooks to the return line in the tank?

They are so close, They got it running with the fuel cell but the pump of course has no power.

Whenever any of you have the time, Do you know any of this?

Thank you so much for your time!

Catrina

Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 AM

You do not have to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump. It can be accessed under the back seat bottom cushion through a panel. It is held on with several phillips screws. Remove the small panel and you will see the top of the fuel pump assembly. The panel is toward the driver side of the car. The fuel pump is also held in with phillips screws. You will see the fuel lines and wiring to disconnect right in front of you. Once screws are removed just pull the unit out...it's quite simple.

You're welcome! We're here to help.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:26 AM

Here is part of an extensive diagram. This relay is where the power comes from. You can see the Green wire w/ Red stripe that matches on the relay. I cannot tell where the relay is located under the hood, but match up the wire colors and you will find it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/758839A0BB50455481878C1EB4EA7E2A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 PM

Thank You Thank You Thank You from the bottem of my Heart !! Just one more thing that I asked. Not sure if anyone knows the answer.

They can't find Fuse for the Reley Do you know wher and if it is Labeled? They are thinking its a fuse that is out......ASLO

Do you have a Diagram of the fuel lines back there? Is 3way valve next to the tank what controls the pressure and hooks to the return line in the tank?

They are so close, They got it running with the fuel cell but the pump of course has no power. This has Been my sons project and he is getting so excited cause they are so close!

Whenever any of you have the time, Do you know any of this?

Thank you so much for your time!

Catrina

Old 03-11-2006, 11:13 PM

What needs to be done is remove the access cover and get to the pump. Once there you will see the Green wire w/ Red stripe and apply power directly to it. I do not know of a fuel hose diagram. There is only two hoses on top of the pump. The power for the relay comes from the fuse block terminal pin 2J. I do not have a diagram of the fuse block.

Quick Reply: 323 Fuel Pump Harnass anyone know the wires?