Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Stalls when going through puddles

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Default Stalls when going through puddles

I have a 2001 Miata which I bought new. I had some major work done recently, and now when I drive through water (maybe a few inches deep) the engine stalls and the engine light comes on. After about 30 minutes it starts again and by the next day the engine light goes off. This has never happened before. Thinking that perhaps they left something loose, I returned to the dealer. They said it was the camshaft sensor, and that there was nothing wrong with the car. If so, this appears to be a major defect. Also, after 6 years of owning this car, this is certainly not the first time I've driven through standing water. Why all of a sudden would it be a problem. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem? Was is not meant to be driven in the rain?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Stalls when going through puddles

No. Something definitely sounds wrong there.
Do you have a CAI or some other mod on it that wasn't there when he car was new?
Check all the electrical/electronic connection in or near the engine comaprtment that might be affected by water and reseal (waterproof them) using some silicon grease.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Default RE: Stalls when going through puddles

Often when work is done on a car parts get left off like heat shields or splash guards. Sometimes it's simply damaged and too far gone to use again. The mechanic that did the workmay not have mentioned it or thought it wasn't necessary or didn't have a new one to replace it. When I bought my '92 Miata used,the entire under-tray was missing. The person I bought it from said a mechanic told him it wasn't necessary and just got in the way. It has onenow! It cost me $63.00 and about 15 minutes. You're either missing something that diverts water away from crucialelectrical components or, like was already mentioned, you need to water-seal something that wasn't properly sealed by your mechanic. Either way, the shop that did the major workis most likely to blame and should take care of it at little or nocost to you! Sorry to all the GOOD mechanics out there, but youKNOW this happens!