Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

HUEY!!!! RPM goes up and down at startup only

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Default HUEY!!!! RPM goes up and down at startup only

BabyHuey,

Thanks to this forum I diagnosed and performed the PCV hose changeout successfully for my friends MPV. There was a visable hole in the hose elbow on the back of the engine. The husband is in Iraq, and she was getting the P171, P174 codes. While I had things apart, I sprayed some electronics cleaner in the MAF wires, and throttle body cleaner in the throttle body and plate area. I also cleaned other electronic wire harnesses I unpluggedto do the PCV hose replacement. Everything worked great, but now when you crank it up ( I think just when it is cold) the idle goes up to like 1500 RPM, then down to 700, then back up, then back down in the course of 10 seconds, up and down....It eventually stops after about 2 minutes?

Without understanding much about the MAF, could I have damaged it with the cleaner, or can you think of anything else I could have gotten into...? I may have left some throttle body cleaner fluid in the body, without wiping it down real good...

Any thoughts? I will try to look at it this weekend. What should I look for....

Old 02-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Default RE: HUEY!!!! RPM goes up and down at startup only

whoops, hit miata, should be posted in MPV. How do you move this post to the right forum

Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Default RE: HUEY!!!! RPM goes up and down at startup only

I did the same thing but almost the opposite. Meant to go to "Miata" and posted in "new member". I just copied mytext and opened the right area and pasted it there. Shows up twice but that's all I could think of.