Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

radio light

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Default radio light

97 miata with mpss pioneer 6270 radio . all function ***** & switch lights work but the face plate light ( clock & station ) does not illuminate and my wife can't drive the car without seeing the clock or radio, haha. she is on me to fix it and i need some HELP!!! any advice except divorce ( i've threatened already) would be of great help... thanks in advance

Old 10-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Default RE: radio light

That should be in your radio wiring diagram. You will need to pull the radio out and check for power/ground with a test light. There is a wire that will test as ground with the headlight switch off but 12 volts with the headlights on. This wire enables the radio face to dim at night so as not to blind the driver so if mistaken for a ground will fry the illumination circuit instantly so be careful.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:53 PM

hixx, thanks for responding to my question ... i'm not sure from your reply if we're on the same page so i will add (maybe) a little information . the radio plays great and all of the other features work except the yellow/orange i think, backlight on the face,even the radio **** lights all work. if youranswer is still the same, thanks again for your response, the problem may be a little over my head

Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Pretty much the same. You will have to test each connection to the radio. The problem could be internal in the radio but you will need to test the connections to be sure.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 PM

hixx , thanks for all your help... I'm still having trouble finding wiring diagrams and directions on how to remove the radio as i am not the first owner ... any additional help on these subjects would be of great assistance ... thanks again...

Old 10-24-2007, 07:10 AM

I don't recall on the 97 model. That was a transition period. If it has 4 small holes in the front maybe covered with small rubber plugs then there is a special tool to easily remove it. The tool is cheap at any parts store. Otherwise it is all phillips screws.