Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Oil Pressure Drops

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Default Oil Pressure Drops

Hi all, I have a 03 MX5 1.8 6spd. It has 80k on it. I have a Header and performance exhaust. Lowered susp. Low Pro tires. Moded Air intake.

I have noticed that while the car is idling at warm up I have heard a metal to Metal deep rattling noise from the front right side of the car. I have also noticed this noise during steering, and when braking. Also when braking I see my Oil Pressure gauge go from just above mid point, to the bottom. Once I step on the gas it goes back to normal and the car stops making the noise. I have no performance issues. The car still runs great and still fast. Shifts ok(do need some clutch work, but nothing that can't wait a year) I'm very nervous driving the car. I would like to get this issue fixed ASAP. If anyone has any Ideas before I take it to my Mechanic I would appreciate it.. You can respond here if you like..

but as I don't get a chance to check this forum that often.. You could email me also at

mr.blue@rogers.com

Thanks for the help all

Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Default RE: Oil Pressure Drops

The drop in oil pressure at low rpm and idle is normal. The oil pump is mechanical, so the pump lever moves slower or faster along with the rpm, and, so does the corresponding oil pressure. Think hand-operated artesian well (water) pump. I'll bet the rattle in the front right has nothing to do with the internal engine itself, but just something benign around it. Rattles that are present at idle disappear as the higher rpm smoothes things out eliminating vibration. Check around the exhaust mainfold and exhaust pipe area and around the engine compartment for something loose.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Default RE: Oil Pressure Drops

Ok, up dated. I found the noise is metal on metal and it's coming from the rear of the motor. Like it's coming from the clutch. It's you can hear it just before you stop as the oil pressure drops. it's very loud, and Very annonying. I can tape the sound and post it if it will help. A mech buddy of mine says it could be the clutch. And I do find it hard to get into 1st whenit's cold. Car is in storage right now in my garage so I have the time to work on it.. just need some ideas.