Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Miata key cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Default Miata key cylinder

Hi newbie here ...

Anyhow i own a 93 miata 5 speed and am having a difficulty starting my vehicle. I believed the problem is the key cylinder not aligned properly cause it does start but i have to wigle it and sometimes it takes a while before it start, really frustrating.. I am trying to order a used one but it might take a few days before it arrives so in the meantime i have to make do w/ what i have.. So the question is; is there a better way too start my car? Maybe someone had this kinda problem here before, an advice or two would greatly be approciated.. Or maybe tell me to start my car without using my key (hotwire) for now.. See i work as a community health worker and im required to travel from home to home, like i said it get very frustrating when you dont know if the car will start or not... thnx..

Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 AM

It most likely is just the electrical portion of the switch that you need. It is'nt difficult to replace,remove the steering column covers and theres 1 screw holding it in. You wont need the entire ignition switch.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Really...

Right now im trying to remove the two breakbolt that connects to the cylinder but ill see if i can hold that off..

Here is what happens; when i put the key and turn it on, nothing happens and it feels like there's a lot of give/room in the key hole slot and if i wiggle it (pull the key out just a little and then turn and push) it starts but not all the time ( I have to play around it 5-10 min ).. How do you check if its the wiring harnesh?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Just 1 phillips screw holding it onto the back of the ignition switch. Pull it loose and look in the back side to see if its damaged. With it removed you can also check the keyed portion to see if it is moving properly.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Ahhh, you guys are right... Took it out, check it and yup thats what the problem.... Thanks, save me some money...