Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

have you?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Default have you?

just curious what the miata owners have done to modify the suspension?
anything worthy of excellence?

Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Default RE: have you?

There are a TON of aftermarket options with the Miata. Before you make any changes, you'll want to clarify your goals. Why do you want to modify the suspension? Autocross? Track? Canyon roads? D0rift0? Best advice I can give is not to modify the car without a defined purpose. Regardless of purpose, what has worked for me so far is good summer tires > performance alignment > shocks and springs.

One of the most important and least expensive options is your alignment. The factory alignment is sloppy in terms of amount of variance allowed, and favors preserving tires and safety over handling. A performance alignment will make a huge difference in the handling characteristics of the car. However, the alignment specs that will work best for you will depend on your purpose.

Aftermarket shocks are another item to check out. The stock Miata shocks (not the Sport suspension with the Bilsteins) tend to wear out early. A lot of folks notice an improvement of changing out the shocks as early as 60K miles. You can go with non-adjustable shocks. Tokico or KYB will give you bang for the buck. Bilsteins are expensive, and many argue that, aside from the ability for custom valving, aren't worth the extra expense. Non-adjustable shocks are great for the average person who just wants to firm up the handling in one go and forget about it.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Well, that is about half of what I typed up. Unfortunately, the limits won't let me post the rest. I'll try the rest later.

Edit: Nope. Can't add the rest. Some serious restrictions on this board. PM me if you want the rest of the info.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I had Tokico's in my old Civic I used to AutoX. I liked them a lot!!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:37 PM

thanks that gives me a lot to work with right now. i was thinking of an all around vehicle that can do not only autocross, but cruising in the canyons and drift as well. tires and alignment with upgraded shocks and springs. the suspension on the car we're working on is pretty beat up. the car is going to be used by amateur drivers and if this works out we'll go with a newer miata setup as well. but for now its a 95.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the input TechMonkey! I have a 91 Miata, and after I get done with a new exhaust system, the suspension is next. I am definitely in the Tokico or KYB with a good alignment candidate, but what about springs and all the stiff bar options? Are these worth the effort & $$? Anything else besides these?

I dont plan on going on a track or anything, just want the ride to be tight when I drive twisty roads on sundays!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

It's not just you, TechMonkey, and not intentional either.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM

i was thinking doing tanabe springs and kyb shocks? but i don't know which ones. i guess the grip springs? and kyb i don't know which ones. are there any links for spring rates?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:16 AM

I quite like my setup: stock springs with Koni adjustable shocks and JR bars...the car is light so it does not need a high spring rate.