Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

2001 Mazda Miata starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Default 2001 Mazda Miata starting problems

Hi, I just purchased a 2001 Mazda Miata covertible. I love the car, but it is showing signs of problems. It has 55K miles, but appears to be in good shape. However, I have problems every day with getting it started. When I start it the first time on any given day, it turns over just fine. After I drive it half an hour or so, stop, and start it again, it's also fine. However, almost without fail, the third time I attempt to start it, the engine won't turn over. It's not completely dead. The engine tries to turn over, but it just doesn't catch. If I let it sit for about two hours, it will then start again without a problem. I checked the battery, which appears new, has tight cables, and no corrosion, so I don't think it's that. I feel like it must be the starter or the ignition switch, though if I wiggle the key several times, it won't always start. Any ideas? Also, can someone please give me some tips on how to eliminate certain things? I know that if it isn't turning over, it's probably due to a faulty starter, solenoid, or fuel pump. How can I narrow it down more? I really love the car, and I'd hate to have to get rid of it if there's a simple solution to the problem. Unfortunately, I'm not mechanically inclined at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Default RE: 2001 Mazda Miata starting problems

any CELs?