Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

1991 Miata won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Default 1991 Miata won't start!

have a 1991 with 135,000 miles on it. It won't start. It cranks over fine.

History. Since I got it in 1997, whenever it got below 40F overnight, it would not fire up. Cranks great, battery is in great condition. Above 40F, fires right up. When it did would not fire up, I was trying to find what what was missing- -spark, timing, or fuel. I pulled the vaccum line off the cruise canister and put it in a cup of gasoline, and once it sucked some gas in, would fire up and run. Not getting fuel is the culprit- -but only when COLD. When the temp is above 40F, it starts like a champ. Has another possibly related issue- -once it warms up after driving a mile or 2, and I stop at a red light, the engine revs to 3000 RPM. After driving another couple miles, low idle RPM drops down to 1000 or so. Been this way since '96. Since I mainly drive it during warm weather, I've been living with it.

Today, something new. It cranks, but won't fire, and it was 60F outside. I tried the suck gas into the vaccum line trick, and it fires up and runs- -as long as its getting gas from the vaccum line. Once that source of fuel is eliminated, the engine shuts off. I looked at the fuel level gauge, and saw it was showing empty. So I thought I was just out of gas. Added 5 gallons of gas to the tank, and now the gauge reads below the E. So, my gas gauge isn't working at the same time I'm not getting gas into the engine. Related? I looked at the fuses on the right side of the engine compartment, and they "looked" ok. Didn't get the volt meter out yet. Planning on checking power tomorrow.

Thinking I have multiple problems here - one new, one old.

Do these cars have a fuel pump in the fuel tank?

HELP!!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM

It might be the camshaft Position sensor P0340 code. I have had the same problem with our 01 Miata. We replaced the sensor and no problem.