Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

1990 miata I have fast idle problem

Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Default 1990 miata I have fast idle problem

[:'(] i looked and sprayed the trhottle linkage nothing seemed to be frozen or stuck. If anyone can give a suggestion as to what may be causing the fast idleing it would be appreciated.

thnks,[:-]

Old 03-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Default RE: 1990 miata I have fast idle problem

How high is the idle? Does it act like is just not dropping out of the cold start idle up?

Old 03-06-2007, 06:09 PM

[&:] Hi the idle just does not drop down after starting the car>>??

Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Well if your throttle cable is not adjusted too tightly and not allowing the throttle to close properly then you probably have a cold air bypass valve stuck open and not closing as the engine warms up.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:38 PM

Hi & thanks ,,can you tell me where the cold-air bypass valve is located or what to look for. Will i be able to spray it or some other way to fix this? thanks again.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 PM

Your engine uses two different valves to control the idle speed at different times. The Air Control Valve is a thermowax type valve that is fully open when engine is cold. As the coolant warms up, the wax expands and closes the valve off. At this point the ISC or Idle Speed Control Valve which is under the throttle body takes over idle control. The PCM controls the duty cycle or open/closed time of the valve electronically to maintain an even idle speed when engine is warm and you turn on A/C or headlight, etc.

The Air Control Valve is the one that is probably stuck open. It is bolted onto the intake manifold just to the rear of the valve cover and right above the fuel injector rail. No electrical wires go to it but there will be two small diameter cooling hoses attached. To see if the valve is truly the problem, you will want to unbolt the valve from the intake manifold after engine has warmed up and idle has been high (no need to really disconnect the cooling hoses yet ). No just put a piece of duct tape over both openings so it is sealed up and start engine. If idle is now back to normal then valve is the problem. If not then need to look a little further.
You might be able to clean the valve with some carb cleaner if it looksgummed up with carbon and then lubricate with a good quality penetrating oil. If unable to clean and free the valve then probably not much other choice but to replace. I do not believe you will be able to take thevalveapart for cleaning but has been some time since have had one off.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:55 PM

Baby Huey ..thanks for you all your help.. After reading your reply I foundoutwhat the car i needed was more engine coolant. I known this should have been "right under my nose" it was`nt until i sawthe instrument panel it was going near the hot .but no light I should have been more consious, As it turned out i put in almost a gallon of coolant. , which was probably the reason why the thermowax valve was`nt closing..I got off easythis time..

thanks again,