Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Default Help

I just bought a 2000 that has been sitting for over a year. It only has 21,000 miles on it. It had not been started or run. It had a 1/2 tank of gas in it. The previous owner took it to the shop to have it checked for slow start. The mechanic sprayed the injectors, changed the air filter and said the gas was old...run the gas out and it should be fine. The previous owner filled it up with new gas on top of the old gas. I had to pick it up 350 miles from home. I had the oil changed when I picked it up and starting driving it home. It was running great until I stopped to fill up again. It had @ 1/4 tank of gas when I filled up again. The check engine light came on almost immediately and I started losing power...like it was not getting gas. It slowly got worse for the next 2 hours, by the time I got home it would barely run. I had the CEL checked and the code P1170 (according to the local dealership) was blocked or clogged EGR passages. I have cleaned the EGR passage and throttle body, they didn't look that bad. I have changed the spark plugs and the fuel filter....nothing has improved. I'm figuring something was stirred up in the fuel tank when I filled up again at 1/4 tank. I do not know what to do next....any suggestions? How do you get to the fuel tank? I am new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old 03-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Default RE: Help

Sure they gave you the right code for the CEL being on?? P1170 has nothing to do with theEGR but is instead indicating that the Front Oxygen sensor did not change from either a rich or lean condition for an extended period. Given your other descriptions it would be assumable that the engine could have been running overly lean due to lack of adequate fuel pressure. Specs for fuel pressureis 53-61psi at idle.
You just might have stirred up some junk in the fuel tank when refueling and it has clogged up the low pressure filter sock at the fuel pump inlet. Would be a good idea to pull the pump and see if this is the case. There is an access cover to allow fuel pump removal under the carpet of your rear package tray just behind your seats. Fuel pressure check or flow/volume check would also point this out without pump removal.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Default RE: Help

Thank you for all of your help. Just finding access to the tank ended up being the hardest part. She's running like new now. This a great forum.