Mazda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Forum for members experiencing problems with the board or those who have suggestions to make the forum better.

2001 Mazda Tribute V6 current drain

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:53 AM
Question 2001 Mazda Tribute V6 current drain

My name is Gazza and I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting in the correct place.
My 2001 Mazda Tribute V6 has been draining my battery on and off for 5 years or so.
Autoelec diagnosed the brake light pedal switch to be sticking ON. Switch then replaced some years ago.

Lately again if the vehicle is not driven for two or three days the battery runs flat and the engine starter motor will just click and not engage, let alone start.

The RACV car assist people diagnosed a faulty alternator. Took car back to autoelec who replaced the faulty brake light switch years ago and the alternator tested fine, but he diagnosed a 130mA current drain with the ignition switched OFF.

He removed the fuses one by one and the ONLY fuse which dropped the current to a very low 30mA or so was the 10A fuse for the BCM/BEM or GEM (Apparently GEM the most common term for the microprocessor unit controlling current for the interior like radio, electric windows, interior lights, central locking etc.

Apart from this the autoelec could apparently go no further.

In the interim, the battery went flat again and I was forced to replace it. Since then I remove the fuse and disconnect the battery when the vehicle is sitting unused.

My concern is that replacement and fitting of the GEM has been quoted by the autoelec at about Aust $700!

But what if I do this and the 130mA current drain is still present?

So with the new battery installed my mate and I looked for other sources of current drain including the backup camera. No drain there.

The PRODIGY electric brake controller (for my box trailer) showed 40 mA with the ignition OFF. I checked with the brake installers and found 40mA to be usual and usual for the
controller to be ON with the ignition OFF.

We repeated the autoelec's procedure and again found ONLY the removal of the 10 A fuse stopped the discharge to ZERO WITH THE BRAKE CONTROLLER REMOVED.

Yes, we double checked the brake pedal switch again and it appeared to be fine.

What do you guys think is the issue here?

I am at the end of my rope,

Gazza