Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Why are OEM Break Pads super expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 09:21 AM
Default Why are OEM Break Pads super expensive?

I want to replace brake pads and rotors on my 2023 CX9 but I'm surprised at how expensive brake pads are. They're more expensive than the rotors! It seems front brake pads will cost over $100 per pair! For comparison, brake pads for a Honda pilot are roughly half that price.

Curious if anyone knows why they're so darn expensive for the Mazda. Is there something special about them? Are they supposed to last extra long?

TIA, Mike

Last edited by MikeVT; 04-27-2024 at 09:22 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 04-27-2024, 11:22 AM

Welcome to the forum

Prices specifically retail prices will vary depending on the country and in the USA the state. There is no set price for OEM parts anywhere. So that question you are asking cannot be answered with any degree of fact only people who assume how things are priced.

The other thing is you are not actually posting part number that would be on your dealer estimate so we don't know if they are OEM parts or not. Just because you ar at a dealer and it is not a warranty does not mean the dealer must use OEM parts.

As for any brake parts longevity this all go down to the driver of the vehicle. While there are advertised brake pads lastly longer that in no mean that anyone will get those high miles if they have poor braking habits or other factors like towing, loading the vehicle, incorrect tire pressure etc.
The last thing is you cannot compare vehicle platform from one manufacture to another having to do with cost of parts like brakes. There are hundreds of variables it like comparing an apple to a rock.

Unless it is a warranty issue you are not required to use a dealership or OEM parts so maybe shop around at shops like Firestone or independent service shops in your state and area you live in.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:30 PM

Why replace the pads & rotors on a 2023? Mazda pads are considered to be very good. If they are worn, how many miles on them? And is most of the driving short trips or long trips that take fewer brake applications? As Callisto said, do your braking habits contribute to rapid wear? Does one of the drivers of that car rest their left foot on the brake pedal? If there are long downhill runs, does the driver downshift to put part of the braking effort to the engine? Or tow without properly maintained and controlled trailer brakes.

As for pricing, the dealers price them high, because they can. Most folks get brake work at the dealer because they are there for another reason, and the multi-point inspection (great marketing tool) says the brakes are worn and in need of replacement. If you were told that, you need to know the thickness of the brake pad friction material remaining on each of the 8 pads. Also the extent of grooving or the remaining thickness of the iron rotor. Pads are good down to a thickness of 2 or 3 mm. Rotors are good if there is not significant grooving or thinning. Pads deposit pad material in a thin invisible layer on the rotor surface. One can replace pads with the same friction compound as the previous pads (same make & model pads) on the same rotors without concern if the rotor wear is OK. Or clean the old pad deposits off the rotors and do a new break in procedure with the new pads. This will get some discussion, and it is easiest and most profitable to sell new rotors every time new pads are sold; rotors are a consumable item. Customers and shops hate come-backs.

Brake fluid needs to be flushed and renewed periodically, every 2 to 3 or 4 years depending on the humidity of the area where the car is driven. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air. If the moisture content of the fluid becomes excessive the heat from emergency braking may cause the fluid to flash to vapor, the pedal goes to the floor, and you have no braking. Within each brake fluid category...DOT3 or DOT4 or DOT5.1...the quality of the fluid is determined by the wet boiling point with 3.7% water in the brake fluid. Higher wet boiling temperature is better, but the borate compound added to the fluid to raise the wet boiling point also causes it to absorb moisture more readily. My Mazda specifies DOT3 fluid, and I'll flush that every 3 years in my climate. My Kia specifies DOT4 fluid, and I'll flush that every 2 years.