Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Sirius Radio Antenna Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Default Sirius Radio Antenna Issue?

Having a strange issue with the Sirius radio... and wanted to see if anyone else is having this same issue or is it just me.

Had the Sirius installed right after I took delivery (about 5 months ago). Everything was going great until the weather started to get colder. I took the 9 on a longer trip (about 2 months ago) and had it parked overnight in the hotels open lot with a clear view of the sky. On the way up there was no issues but when I went to get into the 9 the following morning the radio would say "loading" for a second and then "acquiring" forever. I tried to turn the radio off and back on again but it was still doing the same thing... I even turned the car off and back on again and still nothing. I checked to see if the antenna was somehow damaged but it wasn't. So I drove home listing to cd's trying the satellite every once in a while and nothing. The following day tried it again and same problem. I called Sirius to see if they can help and they resent the activation and still nothing and they said that it could be a faulty antenna... so i call the dealership and take it in. They call me to come pick it up saying there was "an internal antenna failure" and it was now working.

Fast forward to about a week ago.... Now I usually always pull the 9 into the garage but once in a great while I'll leave it out in the driveway. On the night I left it out it was a really cold night and when i got into the 9 the following morning the same thing was happening... "loading" for a second then "acquiring".... So I drive it into work (about 20min drive) and then tried it... after about 30 seconds of saying "acquiring" it came on... and then was working with no problem for a couple days. Then the other night I was working late and it was another really cold cold night and the same issue... So I'm thinking the colder temps is somehow messing with the antenna..

Is anyone else having issue with the satellite radio?

Old 12-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Default RE: Sirius Radio Antenna Issue?

I have had my CX-9 since June 07 and have been quite dissapointed with the performance of the Sirius radio. I was an XM subscriber prior so I have no other Sirius radio to compare but can say that my XM never had reception problems like this car. I can lose radio stations passing under two lane overpasses and in the shadow of trees. Regarding the cold problem, I do know that satellite radio reception can be worse in the winter as the satellites are harder to "see" from locations in the northern hemisphere. I would like to hear from someone who has had Sirius in another carthat could compare reception with this system.