Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Oil Capacity on 2023 CX-9

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 10:05 AM

Well the important thing is to stop thinking OLD SCHOOL on your MAZDA. The dip stick measuring is normal operating between the lower line and top line. PERIOD!!!!

Why that is so hard to understand is just funny.

So normandelli your belief in life that if the majority says something than it must be correct?

The Science Behind Why People Follow the Crowd

Old 01-27-2023, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hud1964
. Maybe on the 2023 turbo engines Mazda decided to increase the fill level because of the oil burning complaints from several years ago.
*Bottom line: Most of us realize that any advice we get from online forums is to be taken with a grain of salt. All I am saying is that my 2023 CX-9 requires just short of 5.5 quarts to bring it to the MAX line when doing an oil/filter change. The manual says 5.1 quarts but (on my vehicle) that leaves me almost 1/2 quart below the MAX.
It's good practice, and common sense, to check the oil level shortly after your car has been serviced and on a regular basis after that. Then add oil or not as you see fit.

Thanks for everyone's input, its been an interesting exchange.
MAZDA did not increase the oil capacity because of engine claiming to burn oil. Where on earth did you ever get that document from MAZDA?

While I have not read the owner manual lately on the oil capacity I believe that is what the engine holds. That was calculated from a new engine that had NO OIL introduced for the determination of its oil capacity. I could also go into the oil pan design and its capacity that also added to the oil amount of the engine as well but that would go right over most heads to understand! Lets not forget the dry oil filter. The calculations were added by the specification capacity of the filter not simply measured by adding oil starting engine letting it get to operating temperature either?

Another thing you all don't think about is that oil will slow down as it cools and the clinging to all parts inside the engine. The head itself can hold up to a cup of oil even after draining the oil. The pan itself on level ground even after draining can hold several once because of the drain plug mounting.

As for advise on a forum you are absolutely correct! However, members on forum should investigate whom it is that is giving the advise and information before canceling what they post out!!!

*Couple of threads some new as well older members should have a look at?

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

What do you do or have done for a living - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

I will say the one thing about forums is that I see many new customers going to service shops repairing or correcting the DIY methods of service and repairs. And watching to many you tube HOW-TOs. LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 01-27-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:31 AM
Talking Relax

Callisto - It's actually my 3rd new Mazda plus I purchased a used Cosmo in the early 70's. All great cars with the possible exception of the Cosmo.
I did not ask you a question and I must admit I'm a little tired of your condescending comments, to everyone not just me.
In the future I would appreciate it if you would simply 'ghost' me, that would be best for all concerned.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:39 AM

Callisto - It's actually my 3rd new Mazda plus I purchased a used Cosmo in the early 70's. All great cars with the possible exception of the Cosmo.
I did not ask you a question and I must admit I'm a little tired of your condescending comments, to everyone not just me.
In the future I would appreciate it if you would simply 'ghost' me, that would be best for all concerned.
Sorry but as an open forum all members can participate as they choose.
I will as I always have responded to threads that interest me or where I think my experience will correct or help some members get better qualified information that is supported by empirical data and information and not DIY on this forum.
If you or any other member finds fault in my information, please don't post the phrase "many other say" and instead give documentation to support your claims of my incorrectness!
I have done as lifelong career (+40years) many aspects from Engineering to basic servicing and have a extensive certifications as well hands on and even educational background and history in this industry!

Last edited by Callisto; 01-27-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:58 AM

Dalai Lama "Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."

Key word: SHARE. Not IMPOSE. Stop quoting iconic figures if you do not or cannot follow the simple mantra they propose. Share what you perceive as your knowledge RESPECTFULLY and WITHOUT JUDGEMENT.

If for reasons unbeknownst to you, people decide not to follow your advice, then so be it. NO ONE is ever right all the time. NO ONE. Not even you. I'm sure even the Dalai Lama observes the golden rule of STFU when he knows his point is moot, whether he thinks he's right or wrong.

If your goal is immortality as per the Dalai Lama, you're not doing good. Work on it.

The Science Behind Why Some People Can't Stop Arguing

Last edited by normandelli; 01-27-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by normandelli
Dalai Lama "Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
Thats right my knowledge earned by being educated , experienced and also certified in my field of study.
You would be one to come to me when you have vehicle issues you cant resolve.
Besides you would not be the best to post information on this thread IMHO. Don't you use a fumoto drain valve? That in itself will change the fluid amount used in a simple oil and filter service set by any auto manufacture because of how that valve is designed and installed in an oil pan.

Is 2014 oil plug reusable? - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums
Originally Posted by normandelli
Hey rrrooonnn,
If I may I suggest an alternative to reusing crush washers (or drain plugs for that matter). I strongly recommend the Fumoto Drain Valve. I've used this product in practically every vehicle I've owned since early 2000s with ZERO problems. Very convenient, easy to use and made very well.
It's basically like a spigot. Install it once and just open the valve to drain oil. Close and refill. Done.
I could also post a few other DIY responses you have given less than the best information, but I will try to at least stay on topic of this thread. LOL
You see when members join, I take interest in what they have to say and also what they say. It helps me to know in the future who are going to be DIY vs some background in automotive service or the automotive industry as a whole.

And you are a cleaver individual because while you don't violate the forums guidelines to directly insult a member you do it somewhat by not directly quoting. Clever, bonus points to ya!

Last edited by Callisto; 01-27-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:49 PM

Whatever. And thanks for the compliment! 😂😂😂

Old 01-27-2023, 02:23 PM
Default Back to original post - Not a question, a statement.

My 2023 CX-9 first oil change took 5.5 quarts of oil to fill it to the MAX mark. (owners manual says 5.1 quarts)
If I am paying $65 for a synthetic oil change I expect my shop to fill my vehicle with the maximum amount of oil it is built to hold.
The reason is if my car were to burn 1 quart in 5000 miles I could drive oil change to oil change without adding oil, remember Mazda says to fill it to the MAX line if low.
If the shop delivers my car 1/2 quart low I can only drive it 2500 miles before stopping and adding a quart of oil, remember Mazda says to fill it to the MAX line if low.
Today I checked the oil level ICE COLD and HOT after running errand's. Cold or Hot the oil level did NOT change, it stayed at the MAX line.
My original comment simply recommended owners check the oil level after service, if less than MAX you may want to top it off or let your shop know.

Callisto, Stop misquoting me, take time to read, understand, and appreciate the opinions of others.
Nowhere in this thread did I ask anyone a question, I simply made a statement. You decided to take issue with that statement for reasons known only to you.
My statement is accurate and 100% spot on. Intimidation and self aggrandizing is not a good look. Please 'ghost' me going forward, I promise I will not be hurt.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:19 PM

My 2023 CX-9 first oil change took 5.5 quarts of oil to fill it to the MAX mark. (owners manual says 5.1 quarts)
If I am paying $65 for a synthetic oil change I expect my shop to fill my vehicle with the maximum amount of oil it is built to hold.
The reason is if my car were to burn 1 quart in 5000 miles I could drive oil change to oil change without adding oil, remember Mazda says to fill it to the MAX line if low.
If the shop delivers my car 1/2 quart low I can only drive it 2500 miles before stopping and adding a quart of oil, remember Mazda says to fill it to the MAX line if low.
Today I checked the oil level ICE COLD and HOT after running errand's. Cold or Hot the oil level did NOT change, it stayed at the MAX line.
My original comment simply recommended owners check the oil level after service, if less than MAX you may want to top it off or let your shop know.

Callisto, Stop misquoting me, take time to read, understand, and appreciate the opinions of others.
Nowhere in this thread did I ask anyone a question, I simply made a statement. You decided to take issue with that statement for reasons known only to you.
My statement is accurate and 100% spot on. Intimidation and self aggrandizing is not a good look. Please 'ghost' me going forward, I promise I will not be hurt.
Sorry dude not going to happen...

. Maybe on the 2023 turbo engines Mazda decided to increase the fill level because of the oil burning complaints from several years ago. Maybe some shops are not checking the oil level, as they should, after a change and sending customers out with oil below the MAX and if the car burns 1/2 quart in 1000 miles the poor owner thinks his car burned off a full quart that quickly.
Thanks for everyone's input, its been an interesting exchange.
No didn't mis quote you at all
And it was IMHO irresponsible response you a subject you obviously do not understand or know all about it. There are 4 Mazda Forum that have multiple threads about that subject.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

I simply invested my time to expand on better information to this forum and its members then more armchair theorist and DIY information.

You are a new member and looking at your 23 posts of which you started 2 threads one thread with 7 responses, another thread not yours which was for more or less member thoughts and opinions based you responding 9 times lol... With 23 total responses no one knows anything about you yet or what you really know? well not everyone Basically not much for anyone on this forum to get any opinion what to trust about anything in a technical way you might respond with. You also have not looked at any threads I suggest you go to nor have even looked at my members profile that has posted very relevant and perhaps questionable information in your mind to see what degree of experience they may have or where are other threads they have participated in or started to get some background about them. In other words, you formulated an opinion about some members without even looking into that good old member information area? LOL ? Now you try to control a thread on a private forum by asking members what they should or should not respond with.(next time maybe preference how you want answers or responses from members in a thread you start? ) not to respond anymore in the thread. This goes back to you as a new member YOU HAVE NO HISTORY YET so why not sit back enjoy the forum and learn a little more before making judgements about members or polices in this forum? Or ask a moderator if yu are unsure!
You do realize that everything posted becomes part of the WWW so in this forum as with many forums I participate on accuracy and empirical data and information is my foremost goal when responding. Very seldom and I do say IMHO or IMHO or simply don't try what I suggest unless you have some experience ... etc. In other words, I don't post BS, DIY information, guessing (unless I say I'm guessing) and generally when it comes to anything service related always fall back on Factory Service procedures or ALL Data.

Here is another thread for you to perhaps look at... and I do admit I am guilty of some of what is articled. LOL

Why Having the Last Word Is So Important for Some People

Just so you know there are only 2 active members that are currently both Certified Automotive Technician with years of experience one is me and the other is a MAZDA Trained and Certified Automotive Technician. If you have not figured out whom that is keep following the many helpful and informative threads and you will figure out soon enough what member that is.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-27-2023 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:23 PM
Unhappy Words can be troublesome.

adverb: maybe
perhaps; possibly

As I said: Stop misquoting me...

PS - I have an idea why there are only 2 Mazda technicians on the forum.

Quick Reply: Oil Capacity on 2023 CX-9