Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Need new struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 08:27 AM
Default Need new struts

New to this forum. I need new shocks and struts for my 2011 CX-9. I have 95k on the original set. Looking for some loaded struts (complete with coil spring) for the front. Anybody using the FCS loaded struts on their CX-9? If not then whats the best option for replacement struts? Would love some feedback.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by SuperDad
New to this forum. I need new shocks and struts for my 2011 CX-9. I have 95k on the original set. Looking for some loaded struts (complete with coil spring) for the front. Anybody using the FCS loaded struts on their CX-9? If not then whats the best option for replacement struts? Would love some feedback.
What makes you think you "need" new struts?

Old 12-03-2018, 01:40 PM

Why new springs?

Rockauto.com lists only the FCS as loaded. Without the new spring they list the highly regarded KYB, Sachs, Monroe, Gabriel. FCS is listed as their "economy" choice.

It is no surprise that the struts & shocks are worn at 95k. Also replace the strut mounts containing the rubber parts and the thrust bearing.

I'd replace all four corners with the same brand from a well known maker.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PTguy
Why new springs?

Rockauto.com lists only the FCS as loaded. Without the new spring they list the highly regarded KYB, Sachs, Monroe, Gabriel. FCS is listed as their "economy" choice.

It is no surprise that the struts & shocks are worn at 95k. Also replace the strut mounts containing the rubber parts and the thrust bearing.

I'd replace all four corners with the same brand from a well known maker.
Why is it "no surprise"; it sure is a surprise to me. These days OEM shocks and struts are typically good for twice that mileage.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 PM

We have a clunking sound in the front end. Been there for about 6 months. Had the CV joints checked out, but they are good. At that time, the shop that check the CV joints said maybe it was the struts?
Last week we had 4 new tires put on it and the shop said we needed new struts and shocks.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by SuperDad
We have a clunking sound in the front end. Been there for about 6 months. Had the CV joints checked out, but they are good. At that time, the shop that check the CV joints said maybe it was the struts?
Last week we had 4 new tires put on it and the shop said we needed new struts and shocks.
Before you spend your money on struts, have the stabilizer bar bushings and end links replaced. Struts do not, as a general rule, clunk.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:54 AM

Agree, the clunk is likely from a worn bushing or link. Even a very small extra clearance can cause a surprisingly loud clunk. I have had a shock or strut that made a clunk, but it was only occasional and over a big bump. It also showed the typical bounce of a worn damper. As we all know, shock absorbers do not absorb shocks. They are rebound dampers. They damp the up & down rebound bounce that the springs want to do. Struts are simply rebound dampers inside the coil (spring)-over suspension part. The dampers do wear out. I've replaced worn, bouncy Bilstein dampers with 100,000 miles on them. If they show any light oil on the outside, they're dying. The shaft seal is leaking. If the car bounces more than once after going over a bump, they're dead.

the shop that check the CV joints said maybe it was the struts?
Find a new shop. They should never say "maybe." A competent mechanic will find the source of the problem and not guess.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:56 PM

I Change the Front Upper Strut Mount TD11-34-380B for a "Bird singing" noise.