Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

HID Xenon KIT installation

Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Default HID Xenon KIT installation

Got my CX-9 in March, couldn't get the factory HID Xenon Kit so installed them myself. I got my HID Xenon Kit @ www.xenoneyes.com for 155 shipping included. Currently have the 6000K, will test these bad boys out for few months and if I don't like them, then I'll test out the 4300K, but either way here is my install.

The install took about an 3 hours or so, mainly because I was trying to find the perfect mounting position. The actuall install took about an hour, mostly because of trying to mount the ballast on the passagner side.

1. Right under the low beam, right up against chassis is a nice triangle bracket, this is on both sides of the car but a pain on the passenger side.

2. Drill a 22mm hole directly in the middle of the dust covers,

3 Insert the HID into the lens housing (don't touch the bulb with your hands)

4. Push the gasket thru the hole (takes a little work)

5. if your system comes with the mounting bracket, break the end of and flush the rest of bracket to the back of the ballast (basically the ballat is not going to move in the harnest)

6. Take your tie wraps and strap 2 of them around the triangle bracket (don't pull it tight, so enough so it will stay in place.

7. Take the ballast and insert it thru the tie wraps and strap it in place (if done right it won't move)

8. Take a 3rd tie wrap and pull it the back of the ballast and strap it down
(7 and 8, basically 2 will be vertical and 1 will be horizontal)

9. Plug the HID Lights into the factory connects, (electrical tape it down so it won't move)

10. Plug the HID into the ballast

11. That's it move to the other side, but be careful the triangle bracket is further pushed back

If you want pictures lest me know, and i'll send them to you.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Default RE: HID Xenon KIT installation

Definately interested in pictures of the procedure...and the outcome!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 PM

this the final outcome

[IMG]local://upfiles/11371/08A3AFE84AF447C39C1477CC66195C58.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 AM

mrcx9,

Thanks for the write-up, your install sounds nice and clean. I was wondering if you could talk a little to how the lighting has changed? Are the HID a MUCH brighter white? The projector halogens on my touring look nice and bright. Just wondering if it is worth it to do this to improve the lighting or if it is just more for a higher end look?

Thanks,
Nathan

Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 AM

The HID lights are a much better improvement over the Halogen's (factory). The factory are on the dull white, while the HID are more on the natural light side more of a pure white, their are serveral versions of HIDs but I prefer the 4300 - 6000 series anything above that isn't worth it, the 4300 are in the BMW, Lexus, Nissan etc, but I wanted a slight blue so that's why I went with the 6000 (it's all preference), the one thing I like about the CX is that they use the projector type lense which is awesome, it spreads the range of your lights much much better. Installing the HID wasn't for the looks it was for better seeing the country roads.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 PM

cannot do thsi on my protege 5 as the lights flicker because of daytime running lights any help

Old 09-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Very informative post. thank you

Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 PM

yeup i did this install 2weeks ago!!!i didnt know some one did a write up on the cx-9 i was gonna do one but i guess no need!!! i just bought a $60.00 slim kit off of ebay ill see how they work or how long these will last i was kinda strapped for cash but i really needed these cause the stock halogens really sucked eggs i guess im used to hid lighting i did the same mod on my old mazda6i this one only took 20mins not like a mazda6 that one took a whole lot longer seeing as you basically have to take the whole bumper off to do a good install!!

i put my pass ballast up under and behind the coolant reservoir
the driver side one up against the front next to the head light
drilled the two center holes in the dust caps
took out the old lights ran the new ones thru the holes and squeezed the rubber cover in along with the conecting wires thru
pluged all the wires together and fired um up!! piece o cake
if and when this cheapo kit dies ima getting an apexcone/ddm kit from therpmstore.com
thats the best kit ive ever owned i think ill go 55w next time!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by mrcx9
Got my CX-9 in March, couldn't get the factory HID Xenon Kit so installed them myself. I got my HID Xenon Kit @ www.xenoneyes.com for 155 shipping included. Currently have the 6000K, will test these bad boys out for few months and if I don't like them, then I'll test out the 4300K, but either way here is my install.

The install took about an 3 hours or so, mainly because I was trying to find the perfect mounting position. The actuall install took about an hour, mostly because of trying to mount the ballast on the passagner side.

1. Right under the low beam, right up against chassis is a nice triangle bracket, this is on both sides of the car but a pain on the passenger side.

5. if your system comes with the mounting bracket, break the end of and flush the rest of bracket to the back of the ballast (basically the ballat is not going to move in the harnest)

6. Take your tie wraps and strap 2 of them around the triangle bracket (don't pull it tight, so enough so it will stay in place.

7. Take the ballast and insert it thru the tie wraps and strap it in place (if done right it won't move)

9. Plug the HID Lights into the factory connects, (electrical tape it down so it won't move)

11. That's it move to the other side, but be careful the triangle bracket is further pushed back

Dude thanks alot for tip, it was very useful

Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mrcx9

Yeah dude, thanks for the post. Very useful