Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.
View Poll Results: Is this throttle body clean or dirty?
It looks clean to me
25.00%
It looks a bit dirty but doesn't need cleaning
25.00%
It looks dirty and required cleaning
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

CX9 2016 carbon build up in throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 03:57 AM
Default CX9 2016 carbon build up in throttle body

Charged $100 for a carbon/contaminant clean.

Would love everyone's opinion on the picture, is there or isn't there carbon/contaminant build up on the throttle body?

Throttle body

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2021, 12:29 PM

Carbon is baked oil. Oil won't get to the throttle body butterfly (what's in the photo). And, the butterfly won't get hot enough to bake oil. The throttle body parts do build up some crud. No air filter is 100% effective. If one can remove the intake tubing enough to get to the butterfly, spray some throttle body cleaner on a lint-free cloth, wipe it with your cloth covered finger, you now have a clean throttle body and $100 in your pocket.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by PTguy
Carbon is baked oil. Oil won't get to the throttle body butterfly (what's in the photo). And, the butterfly won't get hot enough to bake oil. The throttle body parts do build up some crud. No air filter is 100% effective. If one can remove the intake tubing enough to get to the butterfly, spray some throttle body cleaner on a lint-free cloth, wipe it with your cloth covered finger, you now have a clean throttle body and $100 in your pocket.
Thank you for the information. Seems the person servicing me may have exaggerated the severity of the issue. I hope I'm not wrong in thinking that.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cx9azami

Would love everyone's opinion on the picture, is there or isn't there carbon/contaminant build up on the throttle body?

Throttle body

Thanks!
That looks pretty bad & in need of a good clean.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:22 AM

what year is the car and how many miles on it?
Did you need it or mechanic recommended it? Did it make any noticeable difference at all possibly not taking into account the placebo effect?

Old 03-18-2021, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cx9azami

Throttle body

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Trained MAZDA Mechanic 192673
That looks pretty bad & in need of a good clean.
I have to totally agree that this is one of the worse case overdue Throttle body need service work . The pictures do not show other vital area's but you might just look into a rebuilt Throttle body instead of having this one service only to find that the shift is worn

The year or miles has nothing to do with the question about this throttle body needing either replacement or a complete service. Service is defined in the case of the pictures likely more then just a cleaning!

Oil from blow by in the crankcase in some model engine inductive system can introduce oil into the throttle body and a throttle body can get to a temperature that it can cook that vaporized oil.

Although most catch -cans do not work as some claim I do run one on the breather side and mount it as low as possible to improve its efficiency. In the picture you can also see that the factory breather tube does run in front of the throttle body and that oil vapor and deposits can under condition that vary get into the Throttle body.

Last edited by Callisto; 03-18-2021 at 09:39 AM.