Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

CX-9 RSES DVD screen repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Default CX-9 RSES DVD screen repair

So very recently I had an issue where the screen on my CX-9 would black out if opened all the way. Mazda wants $5,000 for the replacement ceiling mounted DVD player. Meanwhile a search of the internet didn't turn up much, so I figured I take it apart myself and see what the issue was. I was thinking it was likely a cable issue, and as it turned out, it was. The fpc cable from the control board to the LCD screen had split. Needless to say these little guys can be incredibly difficult to find. I eventually did find a company in the U.S. that stocks a replacement cable, albeit about 1/2 longer. I got the cable from Digi-Key: part number WM10238-ND. The cable only costs $5.00 and takes maybe an hour to replace, if that. Just remove the DVD player from the roof, remove the LCD screen, open the back cover and switch out the cable. I figured I'd share this information in case anyone else was having this issue and looking for a way to retain the factory system without paying through the nose.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:09 PM

My car is a 2008 Mazda CX-9
Hi, I want to update part number for the broken ribbon (Mazda part # NAN241L872), which causes the DVD screen (mounted on the ceiling) to blank/black out. The replacement part number WM10238-ND (listed in the comment above) is discontinued; however, you can order part number HFF-40U-05-ND as a valid replacement. The price is still under six dollars for the part plus shipping. The part is available from DigiKey Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor or you may call them at 1-800-344-4539.

If you have not removed the DVD, here is a good YouTube video:
The video title is: Mazda CX 9 DVD and Video Monitor Removal

CAUTION: When removing the ribbon, it is designed like RAM memory that you would put into a computer. The ribbon is simply a flat ribbon with bare ends (no connector) that is held into place by pressure. Just like with putting new RAM in your computer, you will need to raise small clips at each end of the socket, which is located on the circuit board. These clips are incredibly small. They raise or slide straight up from the circuit board, not tilt out from the ribbon socket. You will figure it out now that you are looking for the connection.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:12 PM

I forgot to include the direct link for the ribbon...
050R40-127B Parlex USA LLC | HFF-40U-05-ND | DigiKey

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Default Many thanks!

This information has been extremely helpful! I experienced the same problem a couple years ago and refusing my Mazda dealers $5,000 quote I haven't been able to use one of my cars best features. But I'd like to know does anyone have any info or link on how to change the fpc cable? I've already ordered the part (many thanks again) and I've removed the player from the car in preparation. Now a little help or advice would be great...

Old 08-05-2015, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nessarce
This information has been extremely helpful! I experienced the same problem a couple years ago and refusing my Mazda dealers $5,000 quote I haven't been able to use one of my cars best features. But I'd like to know does anyone have any info or link on how to change the fpc cable? I've already ordered the part (many thanks again) and I've removed the player from the car in preparation. Now a little help or advice would be great...
Did you complete the repair? I just ordered my replacement cable.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Default Done!

I have already completed the repair, or should I say my husband did as the parts were difficult to get open. The dealer is very quick to quote a large sum to replace the whole unit, but I'm glad I didn't give in. Knowing my player showed picture on half the screen commen sense told me it was just a wiring issue. It works just fine now and I've had no further issues since repairing it!

Old 08-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Thumbs up 2007 CX-9 OEM DVD Screen repair

Just finished fixing the screen on the overhead dvd player. I contacted the dealer - no help. But after searching the internet for a solution (including this forum), it was easy to do.

The problem - screen was black, but sound was working.
Solution - ribbon cable (purchased on digikey for $5.45. Part #HFF-40U-05-ND).

Process (45 minutes total - easy):

1) Remove the cover and overhead unit

2) Unscrew the screws holding back of dvd player together. Note there are two small screws covered by a round cover. Get a pin or something small (I used an eyeglass screw driver) and remove the cover. The screws are underneath.

3) Unscrew the screws holding the screen. Same as above re: the small round cover.

4) Now you have two separate pieces: a) the actual dvd unit; and b) the screen. You'll see that the ribbon cable that you're replacing is connected to the screen unit AND the dvd unit. I cut this cable for ease of working on the units separately.

5) Get a thin screwdriver to pry open the the screen unit. Once open, you'll see the ribbon cable is connected to the circuit board. You should see a "black" piece on the connector. If you simply (and carefully) pull it towards you (not up, but towards you), it should open.

6) Remove the old cable and replace it with the new one. Remember to make sure the ribbon is installed on the correct side (i.e., the "silver" part should be contacting the connectors. Just make sure you look at the old one as you're removing it.

7) Put the screen unit together (it snaps back in place) and tighten with the two screws. NOTE: make sure the ribbon cable is pulled through the "slot" before you tighten.

8) Remove the cover the from back of the dvd player unit. You'll see where the other end of the ribbon cable needs to be go. NOTE: this connector is a little different (at least it was on mine). Instead of a black piece where you "pull it towards you", the dvd unit had a white piece that you pull "up". Be careful and make sure you're not pulling up the entire connector.

9) Connect the other end of the ribbon cable. This is a bit tricky if you're doing it alone since you have to hold the screen unit, so if someone can hold the screen unit while you connect the other end of the ribbon cable to the dvd unit, it's much easier.

10) Once you connect the other side of the ribbon cable to the dvd unit (now both sides should be connected - one to the screen unit; the other the dvd unit), snap the screw the back of the dvd player. NOTE: make sure the ribbon cable is secure (a little tug) to both units BEFORE you tighten everything back up.

11) Reinstall the unit to the overhead in the car and you should be ready to go.

I know it seems like a lot of steps, but you won't have a problem if you take your time and go step by step. The most difficult part was removing the ribbon cable from the circuit board/connector, but this is the first time I've repaired any electronics.

Well - hope this helps!

Old 08-09-2015, 06:27 PM

Just finished this repair on '08 CX-9. So glad I found this post.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:41 AM

5k to fix? No thank you. Wouldn't pay that much even if I had a million bucks. Not worth it given there are portable DVD players. Glad I found this. Thank you Scatterbrained!!! I will be trying this fix soon and report my experience.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Default Still need help!

So I followed these steps exactly, because the ribbon/cord was broken completely on my screen. I had originally sent my husband outside to look at it and he came back in with a broken piece of the ribbon, no longer attached to the video monitor. We ordered the new ribbon/cord, but it would stay connected when I tried to install it. I used electrical tape to hold it in place; however, I'm not sure it's making an appropriate "connection". When I removed the old ribbon/cord from the black/white connector (the piece that allows it to connect to the back wires on the video), it seemed to be broken and wouldn't stay in place - ergo the electrical tape.

Anyway, any idea where the black/white connector can be purchased??? I'm desperate here!!!

Originally Posted by jk415
Just finished fixing the screen on the overhead dvd player. I contacted the dealer - no help. But after searching the internet for a solution (including this forum), it was easy to do.

The problem - screen was black, but sound was working.
Solution - ribbon cable (purchased on digikey for $5.45. Part #HFF-40U-05-ND).

Process (45 minutes total - easy):

1) Remove the cover and overhead unit Mazda CX 9 DVD and Video Monitor Removal - YouTube

2) Unscrew the screws holding back of dvd player together. Note there are two small screws covered by a round cover. Get a pin or something small (I used an eyeglass screw driver) and remove the cover. The screws are underneath.

3) Unscrew the screws holding the screen. Same as above re: the small round cover.

4) Now you have two separate pieces: a) the actual dvd unit; and b) the screen. You'll see that the ribbon cable that you're replacing is connected to the screen unit AND the dvd unit. I cut this cable for ease of working on the units separately.

5) Get a thin screwdriver to pry open the the screen unit. Once open, you'll see the ribbon cable is connected to the circuit board. You should see a "black" piece on the connector. If you simply (and carefully) pull it towards you (not up, but towards you), it should open.

6) Remove the old cable and replace it with the new one. Remember to make sure the ribbon is installed on the correct side (i.e., the "silver" part should be contacting the connectors. Just make sure you look at the old one as you're removing it.

7) Put the screen unit together (it snaps back in place) and tighten with the two screws. NOTE: make sure the ribbon cable is pulled through the "slot" before you tighten.

8) Remove the cover the from back of the dvd player unit. You'll see where the other end of the ribbon cable needs to be go. NOTE: this connector is a little different (at least it was on mine). Instead of a black piece where you "pull it towards you", the dvd unit had a white piece that you pull "up". Be careful and make sure you're not pulling up the entire connector.

9) Connect the other end of the ribbon cable. This is a bit tricky if you're doing it alone since you have to hold the screen unit, so if someone can hold the screen unit while you connect the other end of the ribbon cable to the dvd unit, it's much easier.

10) Once you connect the other side of the ribbon cable to the dvd unit (now both sides should be connected - one to the screen unit; the other the dvd unit), snap the screw the back of the dvd player. NOTE: make sure the ribbon cable is secure (a little tug) to both units BEFORE you tighten everything back up.

11) Reinstall the unit to the overhead in the car and you should be ready to go.

I know it seems like a lot of steps, but you won't have a problem if you take your time and go step by step. The most difficult part was removing the ribbon cable from the circuit board/connector, but this is the first time I've repaired any electronics.

Well - hope this helps!

Quick Reply: CX-9 RSES DVD screen repair