Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Best transmission fluid for 2014 CX-9 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 06:51 PM
Default Best transmission fluid for 2014 CX-9 GT?

I知 about to drain and refill the transmission fluid on my 2014 CX-9. I bought the car a few years ago and have experienced some slight slipping after longer drives. What is the best rated transmission oil? I have been told Amsoil is good but want to know if there is a specific version needed. Also, is 7 quarts needed? And, does this year have a filter as well? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:57 PM

You can't go wrong with the original ATF from the dealer. Amsoil is very good, and their web site shows the version needed. A very good ATF at a reasonable price is Valvoline MaxLife. The best? Maybe RedLine D4. There is a strainer inside the transmission sump. An automatic transmission only drains about a third of the fluid out of the sump. The rest is trapped in the torque converter. This fluid is changed by a fluid exchange, a rather involved process that usually is done with a special exchange machine by a mechanic or an iffy-lube spot (which is not recommended). The full exchange may take as much as 14 quarts to get all the fluid exchanged. You can find DIY videos on youtube. If the transmission is showing wear as yours is, get ready for a transmission replacement. Clean fluid can help extend the life of a transmission but can't cure a sick one. Lubegard Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant can be a help when added to the new fluid, but it can't fix worn out parts. Often a transmission flush is blamed for a transmission failure. What really happens is that the tranny is dying, the new fluid can't fix it, it dies, and the fluid gets the blame. If this is a worry just do a drain and refill of the amount in the sump.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by PTguy
Often a transmission flush is blamed for a transmission failure. What really happens is that the tranny is dying, the new fluid can't fix it, it dies, and the fluid gets the blame. If this is a worry just do a drain and refill of the amount in the sump.
Yes I like your post and you have posted this a couple times but no details.
Let's add this so your good post has the attention and support it deserves!

The clutches in a automatic are much the same as with a manual transmission only in an automatic the clutches are operating in a fluid. When the automatic transmission starts to have issues the most apparent is gears slipping and burnt fluid the clutches generally will not hold as well and the material that is on the clutches is torn, burned or wears off. This small metal flake and none metal partials floats around in the ATF and most is NOT filtered out by the transmission filter or even caught by the pan magnet. The material floating in the fluid under pressure from the transmission pump actually helps the clutch pack to engage the planetary gears somewhat. When you do a complete transmission replacement fluid on a worn transmission in this scenario the floating materiel is removed. Now with the clean fluid there is nothing left but worn out clutch pack and the transmission will start to slip in all the gears worse which has a domino effect on other parts and conditions i.e. ,fluid heats up, the torque converter balloons which distorts the stator and turbine and the transmission finally fails. All because of replacing the ATF on a transmission with an already existing problem.
This is why it is always a good idea to get the ATF analyzed before spending the money to have that service done. And DIY really should NEVER do a fluid replacement. I have seen many of those DIY video.... wow! LOL My guess is from people that never rebuilt a single oine automatic transmission in their life? LOL

Old 03-07-2022, 03:55 PM

I知 going to go with Amsoil as I am able to get a good deal right now through a shop owner. I went by the Amsoil site and I知 pickling up a gallon to use. I realize now that about 3-3.5 quarts is all that will be needed. I知 basically just draining about half as suggested and refilling and then weeping out a bit underneath the vehicle as the vehicle is running to a slight drip. This is of course after the vehicle has been brought to temp and I have moved the shifter through all of the gear settings (park, reverse, all drive settings). Thanks so much for enlightening me through all of these responses. It confirms what I知 reading and is awesome to learn.