Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

AC issues, New CX9

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 05:31 PM
Default AC issues, New CX9

Hi all!
New or the forum and looking for guidance on our beautiful’23 CX9. It’s super hot here in the California desert. Noticing the AC compressor is cycling on-off a lot, and the cold air in the cabin isn’t as much as I’d expect. Granted, we’re dealing with 110+ days, but for a new vehicle it leaves a bit to be desired. Wondering if this is to be expected, or if the AC might have issues that may be typical to the CX9?

It’s using the R1234 refrigerant and I don’t see any obvious leaks, but the cycling of the compressor sounds unusually frequent.

Love the vehicle already though! Thanks for your help.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

The compressor will cycle on all cars. 100% normal. The frequency will change depending on load/ outside temp.

Old 07-05-2023, 03:22 PM

An easy test is to use 2 thermometers. With the system set to recirculate the air and the controls set at, say, 65°, put one thermostat near the air intake to the fan (somewhere under the instrument panel) and the other thermometer sticking in a cooling vent. Doors & windows closed. Let the car run for a few minutes and check the difference between the two thermostats. If you see about a 20°F difference in the temperatures, the machinery is doing all it can. Say you record 100° into the intake and 80° coming out of the vents. It's doing the best it can. If the difference is considerably less video it, now you have some good info to take to the dealership to get a repair.

Old 07-05-2023, 04:27 PM

Nice theory PTGuy really....... but unless you are first in a shop or garage it really wont work like you think? Or unless you drive with your thought process for about 10-15+minutes for temperature top normalize and then I am not sure it would be supporting evidence and I am not sure i would give it to an service tech they may look at you strangley. ?
All of my vehicles that have AC for decades I have always used a cooking temperature gauge in the vents. In the MAZDA I went so far as to even paint the case black to blend in a little. I use these for various temperature verifications and even keep one in my intake boot all the time so I can pop the hood and see what the intake air charge temperature is and compare it to the IAT temperature's.

This is from sitting in my 86F garage after a 15 minute drive with the heat soak. With my AC set at max and upper vent only and outside fresh air draw would take about 5-7 minutes to col the HVAC stem hose and ducks down so I could switch to recirculating and mixed lower venting.

This is from sitting in my 86F garage after a 15 minute drive with the heat soak to intake air hose for the Throttle Body and intake charge .

Lots of spare temp gauges on hand.