Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

about to buy new mazda cx9 can someone please answer couple questions for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 04:39 PM
aki
Default about to buy new mazda cx9 can someone please answer couple questions for me?

Hello to all,

I am interested to buy new cx9 but before I make the final decision I need to know:
1. what is the cold start rpm speed? ( I have subaru legacy 2017 and it idles at 1800rpm when cold - I hate it)
2. how stable is cx9 on highway with cross winds?
3. how is the steering wheel weight does it feel like you are connected to the road or very light and needs constant adjustments to keep straight line?
4. What you like the most and what you hate about the car?

Thank you all in advance!

Old 10-07-2020, 01:17 PM

1...reasonable, I haven't noticed it.
2...stable
3...connected. Needing constant adjustments sounds like the caster (part of the alignment) needs adjustment.
4...I like the looks, the handling, the reliability. AWD performs very well in snow. I hate nothing. The driver's sight lines aren't the best. I'd alter the cockpit position a bit if the car was designed for me.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:47 AM

Hi. I used to work at Mazda and was one of the first to train on the 2016 model CX-9.
I can't answer the question one as I forgot but have a 2017 CX-9 myself.
However, I will shed light on questions 2 to 4.
2. how stable is cx9 on the highway with crosswinds? Very stable as I drive all over B.C with Thule Motion XT Bike rack and 2 electric bikes plus Thule roof rack. I don't go over 80 MPH as that's the recommended maximum with these things on the vehicle and sometimes I get overconfident as one of the redeeming factors on the CX-9 is safety due to amazing handling.
3. how is the steering wheel weight does it feel like you are connected to the road or very light and needs constant adjustments to keep straight line? Variable power so light when slow and heavier while on the highway so more control focussed.
4. What you like the most and what you hate about the car? Hate the lack of space in the back as I put so many things with a 3-year-old so use my Roof rack and that eliminates the problem. The seats always folded in the back row. 2020 has taken all the weaknesses out of the car mostly so prefer after 2016. I only like GT or above so better to buy older rather than 2020 GSL or lower as luxury provided rivals BMW or Mercedes and beats Infinity. also ok on Fuel as not a V6 so better resale when electric cars become the norm.