Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2021 CX-9 Exhaust/Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 08:46 AM
Default 2021 CX-9 Exhaust/Mods

Just bought a Signature and I love it. Torque is definitely there but I want more power but didn't want to spend the $ for a BMW x5 m. Going to install a cold air intake but was curious if anyone has done anything like this. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:09 PM

The car is built with a cold air intake. Be sure the aftermarket item you buy isn't actually a warm air intake that merely makes more intake noise.

More power is easily available...use high octane gas. You'll have more power at high rpms.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:56 AM

I am not too sure about the effectiveness of CAIs on modern vehicles. Many I've seen - including the CX-9 - have an enclosure with an opening directly under the hood's lip. With the vehicle moving forward, I can't imagine the air getting any colder than that. Other (older?) CAI systems locate the intake outside the engine compartment for maximum effect but depending on the location, can also subject the engine to water ingestion. Think low, positioned close to the wheel well. I've read many stories in the past of such systems mounted so low that when the vehicle was driven through a fairly high water level, the engine hydrolocked. Ouch.

As PTguy mentioned, you may probably be better off with using premium fuel for HP gains.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kevinwr450
Just bought a Signature and I love it. Torque is definitely there but I want more power but didn't want to spend the $ for a BMW x5 m. Going to install a cold air intake but was curious if anyone has done anything like this. Thanks in advance for any info.
So as far as I'm aware, there's pretty much no thing as a cold air intake for these. It's called a short ram intake. Pretty much a hot air intake lol. You'll get turbo noises and a louder turbo spool though. I ended up buying the k&n typhoon for mine and love it. Now throw a muffler delete on that, and my butt dyno says there's some power gains