Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2017 Electrochromic Rearview Mirror

Old 11-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Default 2017 Electrochromic Rearview Mirror

Hello, I just picked up a new 2017 CX-9 Grand Touring with the Electrochromic rearview mirror and rain sensor wipers. The problem is that the mirror is always in dark mode, even in bright sunshine and I cannot see out the back. It is so dark I have to turn it off. It reverts to on mode each time I start the car. A minor problem I am sure but wondering if any other CX-9 owners have this problem or may have found a solution.

I suspect it is because the automated wiper sensor is a fairly large black pod that sits right in front of the mirror and perhaps the front sensor on the EC mirror gets blocked and always thinks it is night and then keeps the EC full on. Just a theory.

Wondering if just putting a piece of white tape on the back of the rain sensor module might help the sensor function as it should.

I have had EC on other cars and it always works perfectly. This is the first car I have had with the automated wiper system.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Doug

Old 11-29-2017, 08:21 PM
ssk

I drive a '17 CX-9 GT and have felt the inside rear-view mirror a bit dark but I was thinking its due to the black lining inside the car which makes the car interior darker. However, I haven't really felt the inside rear-view mirror too dark to see clearly through the rear.

One thing you could try is to move the rear-view mirror vertically, keeping it away from the roof. If that will make it better, it kind of validates your theory. I remember adjusting the mirror vertically, moving it closer to the roof. I will readjust and see how it affected.

The above image is taken from page 117 of 2017 CX-9 owner's manual.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2017, 06:44 AM

Thanks for that suggestion. The dogbone on the EC mirror does not have as much range of movement as the tilt mirror and the wiper sensor housing extends down the inside of the windshield well below the bottom of the mirror. See the image on page 119. The mounting is quite different.

There is an image of the windshield sensor on page 206 (Section 4-59) that illustrates the size and potential interference with the forward sensor of the EC mirror.