Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2016 CX-9 Hitch & Harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:57 PM

FWIW, I installed the Draw-Tite this weekend on a 2016, and it went exactly as the etrailer video. Easy, took about 1/2 hour. Now I'm looking into getting the harness - T-One or OEM?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:15 PM

The aftermarket harness works great. It is a bit tricky getting the panels off--easier than it seems, though, once you know where to pull or pry.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:22 AM

What are you guys thought about uhaul class 3 hitch for CX9? Thinking of getting that one for my 2018 CX9.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:49 AM

U-Haul labeled hitch receivers are made by Cequent, the big outfit that also makes Draw-Tite and Reese, among other brands. Except for the label this is identical to Draw-Tite. No problem. Among Draw-Tite & U-Haul or Curt, pick the best price & service.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:28 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by PTguy
U-Haul labeled hitch receivers are made by Cequent, the big outfit that also makes Draw-Tite and Reese, among other brands. Except for the label this is identical to Draw-Tite. No problem. Among Draw-Tite & U-Haul or Curt, pick the best price & service.
Awesome thanks for the info.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:44 PM

Did you route the wiring harness to the hitch? Or leave the connector inside the vehicle. I wanted to run the wire and permanently mount it on my hitch.
I wasn’t sure how that is done? The videos were not helpful on that. I saw on another older video that they went inside the lights to get the wiring down inside the vehicle.
Just curious on how that was done. I’m a new CX9 2016 owner

Old 10-22-2019, 07:22 PM

I routed mine through the floor like the instructions from Mazda showed, and out to the hitch. The 2" hitch I used has a mount on the hitch where the wire goes. I keep the wire covered.

If you're a new CX-9 owner, here are some videos I made on the maintenance procedures I've done on mine over the past 60k miles, if you're interested. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KmVSOMeHFsPug0

Old 10-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Default Wire routing.

Originally Posted by Jmb505
Did you route the wiring harness to the hitch? Or leave the connector inside the vehicle. I wanted to run the wire and permanently mount it on my hitch.
I wasn’t sure how that is done? The videos were not helpful on that. I saw on another older video that they went inside the lights to get the wiring down inside the vehicle.
Just curious on how that was done. I’m a new CX9 2016 owner
I left my connector in the covered compartment in the boot. If you take out the spare, you'll see a large rubber plug in the center toward the rear. Remove the plug, cut it so you can run the wires through it and replace it. Add some silicone and you are set.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Default Harness with a fifth wire.

Some trailer harnesses require a fifth wire to enable backing up the trailer. Does anyone know where I can splice into the reverse circuit of the CX-9 since the backup lights are in the rear hatch?

Old 10-23-2019, 02:49 AM

Thanks. I'll take a look. I did have a 2008 Mazda CX9 Touring. It started leaking oil at 193K. With a 1300 price for repair. I opted to get a new 2016 CX9 GT. The Auburn interior of the Signature wasn't for me. I can certainly feel the difference between the two cars. The turbo seems to surge at times I have noticed. Ride and gas mileage is much different. Big improvement over the 16 MPG i was getting.

I purchased the Draw-Tite from Amazon. They don't seem to pack it that well. Perhaps some padding to save from all the scratches. I had to paint mine before installation.
Looks great. I'm going to get a bumper guard for it now. That plastic bumper must be a 5 MPH rated. So flimsy.

Quick Reply: 2016 CX-9 Hitch & Harness