Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2016 CX-9 air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 07:06 AM
Default 2016 CX-9 air conditioning

I'm considering purchasing one of these cars. I have read about 2 main issues - AC and not enough seat adjustment. The seat is fine for me, but I wonder what others are saying about the AC. Please share your experience. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 AM

Initially, I thought that the AC was a bit weak; but after living with it during this hot Texas summer soon realized that it cools and maintains temperature just fine.
The fan does run at higher speeds more often than my former smaller vehicle ... likely leading to my initial concern.

Set the automatic temperature control to a comfortable level and make certain that it's set on "recirculate" to keep the driver and passengers cool and collected.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:09 AM

I haven't had issues with cooling since I had the front windows tinted and the use of a windshield shade. This was during Florida summer. It seems to cool quicker when using normal vents and and lower vents at the same time. Once you get the temp down it will freeze you.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 PM

I think some people want sub zero temps 5 seconds after the engine starts and that will never happen. Almost all car AC units run at a lesser output when idle and low RPMs, and will ramp up to max cooling when on the road. Both as a symptom of the engine belt running faster and more air running over the condenser.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:47 AM

I test drove this car 2 weeks ago and didn't think anything of it. Then I read about the AC "issues" and really began to get worried since I had finally found the car I wanted so my wife test drove it again when it was 106 out. It was fine. We purchased the car last week and have been loving it. Really not an issue. If anything, it's more that the side vents don't really blow directly on you, but the car is so great for us this wasn't a deal breaker.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:58 AM

This is good to know and was my big concern.

It looks like I will be picking up my CX-9 Signature today. I priced it around and the lowest I could get it was $41k before tax, title and license. That all adds about $2k.

Our '12 X5 Diesel (which we also purchased new) is out of warranty and it seems that every month we have something else break and the bills for that run $1,500-$2,600. I have not paid any of those amounts after complaining to BMW USA multiple times and doing my own fixes, but I'm done with that.

I initially bought the X5 to tow my RX-7 race car that I no longer have so I no longer have the need to tow 7000lbs. Our first baby is on the way so we needed something comfortable and practical. Most of the other vehicles we looked at could not touch the interior fit and finish of the old X5--then we found the Signature edition.

My one worry was the AC, so if that is not as big an issue as it is made out to be, I will close the deal today and dump the X5.

Last edited by maddmike; 12-02-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by maddmike
This is good to know and was my big concern.

It looks like I will be picking up my CX-9 Signature today. I priced it around and the lowest I could get it was $41k before tax, title and license. That all adds about $2k.

Our '12 X5 Diesel (which we also purchased new) is out of warranty and it every month we have something else break and the bills for that run $1,500-$2,600. I have not paid any of those amounts after complaining to BMW USA multiple times and doing my own fixes but I'm done with that.

I initially bought the X5 to tow my RX-7 race car that I no longer have so I no longer have the need to two 7000lbs. Our first baby is on the way so we needed something comfortable and practical. Most of the other vehicles we looked at could not touch the interior fit and finish of the old X5--then we found the Signature edition.

My one worry was the AC so if that is not as big an issue as it is made out to be, I will close the deal today and dump the X5.
Yeah not a big deal. Weve had this car since September and it's been great. The AC has been fine. Again, not the best ever, but I already forgot it was ever a question mark. Our 1 year old son loves this CX9! That's also an incredible price you're getting.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by xmadvicx
Yeah not a big deal. Weve had this car since September and it's been great. The AC has been fine. Again, not the best ever, but I already forgot it was ever a question mark. Our 1 year old son loves this CX9! That's also an incredible price you're getting.
Thanks! I like to negotiate. It drive my wife crazy but I see it as a sport. In the end I got two dealers against each other. One came to $41,500 and the other had a "guarantee to beat the lowest price by $500" so I wrote the manager a nice little email asking if they were planning on standing behind their low price guarantee (they are). They have the machine grey metallic that I like and it was actually the vehicle that I test drove a few days ago so I am familiar with that specific vehicle.

This will be the first time in many years that I will not have a BMW four-wheeled vehicle in my garage. I still have a BMW motorcycle though and a 911 as my car. I think BMW has been slipping lately and resting on its laurels, hopefully they will come back around.

It will be my return to Mazda after selling my FB RX-7 last December. I have owned a Protege, a Miata, and all three generations of RX-7. In my mid thirties now and I always wished that Mazda would build something more "mature" and it looks like they did.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:26 AM

Hello,

I have had mine for almost a year now and I live in Southern Virginia where it gets 110 in the middle of Summer. I purchase mine in June of last year and I don't think there is an issue with the AC at all, unless you do not have it on recirculate. Turning recirculate on makes it the "max AC" that is on older vehicles and that baby gets very cool.

The only problem I have is because of where I need my seat to be, as I am very tall, the steering wheel is in the way of the driver side air vent so I have to turn the secondary passenger vent onto me to get the double air vents, which is normally fine because I usually do not have someone in the front seat with me often.

Other than that, I haven't really experience many issues with my vehicle. I'm still in love with it.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by xmadvicx
Why you say your old 1 year boy love the cx9? Just curious...

My baby boy (18 months old) don't notice if we are traveling in the Nissan Rogue or Mazda Cx9

Quick Reply: 2016 CX-9 air conditioning