Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2016 CX-9 air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 02:49 PM

In regards to the AC I normally don't have issues because I live in Mexico City and here the temp it's very good. We never ever get very high temp. Some weeks ago I left the car in the sun for about 3 hours and when I get in and turned the AC ON, I notice the air in the new cx9 is not as good as the old one with V6 (I had a 2011 Sport). But this SUV is so good this don't matter. After few minutes blowing cold air, the interior was comfortable enough. Please notice I have very black tinted windows.

I notice the issue is not with the amount of air but with the air being not so cold like in other vehicles I had in the past.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 PM

I am in California's Central Valley with hot summers. I just purchased a 2017 CX9 signature. I have not noticed any problems with the AC, this is a big car so the AC has to work a little harder to cool the cabin.

My Subaru Impreza had truly weak AC.

Remember to use the recirculating feature to cool the cabin faster, and adjust the airflow (floor, face, etc.). I have noticed the buttons on the bottom row of the HVAC controls are very sensitive and I have inadvertently shut off the system by bumping into a button when putting my phone in the compartment beneath.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:30 PM

Has anyone tested their CX-9 to see if the hot air dampers are closing all the way when they have the AC on? With the complaints not uniform, there must be problems in individual cars.

Try this--have a thermometer that can get the bulb or probe into the dash air vent or so close that it accurately reads the outflowing air temperature. Run the engine up to operating temperature, park in the shade with the engine idling. Get the outside air temperature. Turn the AC off, run the temperature setting down to 60°F (as low as it goes). Set the fan speed on 2 or 3 marks. Measure the outflowing air from the vents. It should be the same as the outside air temperature. It may take a couple of minutes to stabilize if you just turned off the AC. If the air is warmer than the outside, it seems like a hot air damper is not closing tightly. That would be a warranty repair.

Another test is to do the same as above with the AC on and the temp set as low as it goes. If the air flowing out of the vents is about 20°F lower than the outside, then the AC is probably doing as good as it can.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by PTguy
Has anyone tested their CX-9 to see if the hot air dampers are closing all the way when they have the AC on? With the complaints not uniform, there must be problems in individual cars.

Try this--have a thermometer that can get the bulb or probe into the dash air vent or so close that it accurately reads the outflowing air temperature. Run the engine up to operating temperature, park in the shade with the engine idling. Get the outside air temperature. Turn the AC off, run the temperature setting down to 60°F (as low as it goes). Set the fan speed on 2 or 3 marks. Measure the outflowing air from the vents. It should be the same as the outside air temperature. It may take a couple of minutes to stabilize if you just turned off the AC. If the air is warmer than the outside, it seems like a hot air damper is not closing tightly. That would be a warranty repair.

Another test is to do the same as above with the AC on and the temp set as low as it goes. If the air flowing out of the vents is about 20°F lower than the outside, then the AC is probably doing as good as it can.
Back in late July while in Dallas, Tx. I put a thermometer in the A/C vents as I ran errands. I noticed the side vents fluctuating from 45 to 48F while the center vent hovered around 43.5 - 45 F. I'm wondering if the blend door for the side vents isn't shutting all the way or if the blend door works for all vents simultaneously?

The problem I'm having is that during the heat of the day and after my 2018 CX-9 Signature has been sitting in the sun (with sunshade and tinting) it takes about 30 minutes to cool down the car to an acceptable level.