Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2015 CX9 Wheel Rims Paint Coming Off After Washing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Default 2015 CX9 Wheel Rims Paint Coming Off After Washing?

I was washing my wife's CX-9 cleaning it thoroughly for the first time since the snows are hopefully gone here in the midwest. As I wash washing the wheels, I noticed that the paint was peeling off. I think this is not acceptable. Ant advice or comments?

Old 05-11-2019, 07:35 AM

Any help? Any advice here?

Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 AM

That is in all likelihood a repaint over the original wheels due to scratches, curb rash, etc. They are extremely difficult to prep to paint where it will stay on and if you get a chip on them you can often completely strip them with a pressure washer or in some cases a strong garden hose. Oem finishes might discolor but don't generally have a peeling problem. I'm about to have a set painted but it's a crap shoot.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by depmike38
That is in all likelihood a repaint over the original wheels due to scratches, curb rash, etc. They are extremely difficult to prep to paint where it will stay on and if you get a chip on them you can often completely strip them with a pressure washer or in some cases a strong garden hose. Oem finishes might discolor but don't generally have a peeling problem. I'm about to have a set painted but it's a crap shoot.
Thanks depmike! I wonder who I may contact to complain.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:18 AM

I would check first and see if there have been any complaints about an overall problem with the wheels. It could be isolated to a specific wheel size and/or style. I don't see any problems with ours and it has the 19" wheels. If it's a repaint over a factory wheel then Mazda probably can't help since they'll say they didn't do it. The only solution you would have then is to either have them replaced(ridiculously expensive OEM) or get them painted again. If you have them repainted the layer that's peeling needs to be completely stripped then after color is applied it needs to be clearcoated and then try and not wash it when the wheels are hot or use any type wheel "acid" on them. Hope this helps>

Old 05-26-2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by depmike38
I would check first and see if there have been any complaints about an overall problem with the wheels. It could be isolated to a specific wheel size and/or style. I don't see any problems with ours and it has the 19" wheels. If it's a repaint over a factory wheel then Mazda probably can't help since they'll say they didn't do it. The only solution you would have then is to either have them replaced(ridiculously expensive OEM) or get them painted again. If you have them repainted the layer that's peeling needs to be completely stripped then after color is applied it needs to be clearcoated and then try and not wash it when the wheels are hot or use any type wheel "acid" on them. Hope this helps>
Thank you so much!

Old 07-23-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by littlebadboy
I was washing my wife's CX-9 cleaning it thoroughly for the first time since the snows are hopefully gone here in the midwest. As I wash washing the wheels, I noticed that the paint was peeling off. I think this is not acceptable. Ant advice or comments?

I had the 4 rims replaced by the dealer when I first noticed the paint peeling from them. When the peeling occurred on one the second set of rims the dealer only replaced that one. Now they are all peeling and the dealer will not replace any of them.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by kcrowe
I had the 4 rims replaced by the dealer when I first noticed the paint peeling from them. When the peeling occurred on one the second set of rims the dealer only replaced that one. Now they are all peeling and the dealer will not replace any of them.
Wow. Thanks for the information.