Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2010 CX-9 - Hopefully how to add a trailer hitch...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Default 2010 CX-9 - Hopefully how to add a trailer hitch...

Well, after two days of searchin the internet and getting useful bits of data from various forums and vendors (thank you Mike L at etrailer.com and Marshall E at http://www.mazdaparts.org/), I finally ordered all the parts needed to hopefully "easily" add in the hitch that Mazda did not do.

Apparently the 2009 and 2010 AWD versions all have the towing PREP package which adds in the extra cooling for the raidator and transaxle and the correctly programmed computer. They ALSO have a factory harness taht ends in the back end of the vehicle, passenger side near the jack and is supplide power by spot in the fuse box with no fuse but marked "Trailer 15 Amp". This nice little connector will mate with the MAZDA harness part number 0000-8E-N11A which you can get by calling the guys at http://www.mazdaparts.org/ - they don't have the individual part online yet. That kit gives you all you need to neatly have a 4 pin connector hanging out the back of the car, including the rubber grommet needed to keep the interior dry. They even have the fuse you need in the kit. The instructions also lookl pretty easy, but appear to be asking for a lot more disassembly then I thihnk will be needed - let you know when I complete it.

Well, then, next question is which hitch to buy? Well the factory hitch is non-standard and one page says it is class II, but only 2,000 lbs towing. Then their is the question as to whether it goes through the bumper fascia or under it. I did not want it. I decided upon the Draw-tite 75531 class III hitch. I liked this one because it also has a plate welded to it that can hold the wiring connector nice and neatly [and etrailer has a very nice video on youtube showing ho to install it!]. For the wiring holder, I also bought the bracket and adapter from etrailer.com, parts number 118137 and 30601.

Now, to get it all put in!

Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 PM

OK< I Put it all in and it was pretty easy. Only a couple gripes with MAZDA over the instructions they provided that try to convince you to strip pretty much all the rear end when you don't have to. To install the MAZDA harness, you only need to pull out the rear "cargo" hold and the rear sill (push up the two pins from UNDER the car - you will see two inch long narrow yellow rubber "sleaves" that keep the weather out of the pins - push up on these to pop the pins out of the hole - one is under the drivers side under the spare tire the other is on the passenger side and should be obvious when you look up under the car. The power connector is to the passenger side and I stuck the electronic module on the side wall "under" the jack.

To put the hitch in, make it easy on yourself and lower the spare tire and then take the spare tire hanger hardware off the bottom of the car - 6 nuts, 4 on the crank assembly and 2 where the wire comes out to hang the tire. This allows you plenty of room to get in and tighten the bolts easily and quickly.

It took me two hours altogether. I could probably do it in under one hour now that I have done it once.

Last edited by BrianClass; 12-04-2010 at 03:35 PM.