Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2008 CX-9 Touring Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 07:50 PM

I understood what you asked but thought you would simply go and follow it back to the other end. That large a cable (4,6 or 8 gauge ) will generally connect to the block, the frame or a starter? Many vehcls come factory with 2 grounding cables.

Just because you are trying 1-3 or 100 batteries if they are not tested first then 1-3 or 100 could all be possibly bad. That is why I keep recommend suggesting and posting about load testing them.. the term a battery will not hold a charge is somewhat inaccurate. The voltage on a bad battery can still in most all cases be charged to 12 plus voltage. But if the battery amps are not there to support the voltage then you have a bad battery. BTW many batteries are not completely NEW unless the supplier specifically say 100% . Most batteries these day even from the top brand are made from recycled parts winch include the core. I also mention shelf dates, retail sale date vs actual manufactured date . Just because you purchased a battery today may not mean that it has only been around for no more then 6 mos from the actual manufactured date. And many battery supplier will service their account by battery rotation. This mean that they will find batteries that are 6 mos or older by the generic date could and swap them for a newer date. perfectly ok practice that has been done for decades. They will take the batteries and have them tested. If they are ok then will receive a new date code sticker and back to a retail outlet.

A battery drawing down to the no start level in 24 can easily be traced. That is a big draw. If you keep attempting to start the engine with jumping you are going to be replacing a starter soon. I would at least have a 1amp charger or better an automatic battery charger on your car so the battery will not drain down until you resolve your problem?

I just went out to my 2018 Mazda 3 and fired up the stereo for about 10 minutes. With my sound system it took the voltage down to the point that load testing the battery indicated to charge and re-test. So it is now on the charger for about an hour to restore static voltage to where I can retest the batteries condition. Oh I have 2 ground cables one to body and the other to the wire distribution power block.

I will post the retest pictures later.

This picture is a constant voltage readout in my console compartment.

You can see in the next picture that I have slightly low voltage and the load test indicates the necessary 12 and re-test for battery health.
Oh this OPTIMA battery uses 100% new materials.

The volt gauge is on " display hold" for reference of static voltage prior me starting the test and before I played my stereo.

Now receiving low amp charge and indication charging voltage.

Last edited by Callisto; 03-21-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:41 PM

Battery fully charged repeated load test and the results @850CCA good battery.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:34 PM

Update...car has been at https://www.keystoneautoelectrical.com/ since 1st thing Wed (25th) morning. Still working to find root cause. Tech is confident the issue is caused by something in the cabin. He can duplicate the draw - no battery connected -> battery connected -> no draw happening -> ignition switched ON -> ignition switched OFF -> draw happening. Not a simple problem. We'll see...

Old 04-04-2020, 12:52 PM

OK...here's the deal...Jerry at https://www.keystoneautoelectrical.com/ isolated and repaired the problem. The relay for the Rear Defroster was bad. Hard to believe, but that was the problem.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:32 PM

GREAT news! Thanks for following up with all of us!

Old 09-09-2020, 11:16 PM
Default Same....

I have the same problem. We’re you able to figure out the issue?
Originally Posted by joswald21
Hello...if the car is parked for 3-4 days, when I try to start it the battery is dead. Something is draining my battery - actually, 3 batteries now.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Old 10-06-2020, 07:48 PM
Default Exact same issue.

Originally Posted by Denise Nelson
I have the same problem. We’re you able to figure out the issue?
Denise was yours the rear defroster also?

Old 01-27-2021, 01:28 PM

I have a 2017 CX-9 GT, parked it for a week in the summer while I was on vacation in BC, and battery drained and had to buy a replacement at Mazda in Calgary $300+ including diagnosis. Then my local Mazda told me to get a trickle-charger as it's a know problem in my model. And not covered by extended warranty. When I tell people with other brands they think I'm crazy. Never had this with my previous vehicle. Not very happy.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:19 PM

Hello...if the car is parked for 3-4 days, when I try to start it the battery is dead. Something is draining my battery - actually, 3 batteries now.

yes so I drive car for 30 minutes every day. Something drawing on battery at night. mechanic confirmed but doesn’t know what.

Old 08-20-2022, 06:24 AM
Default Alternator

Yes it happened on my 15 CX9 it was the alternator. When running the alternator tested fine but when off gave a 4 Amp path to ground.

Quick Reply: 2008 CX-9 Touring Battery Drain