Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Water leak when it rains.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Default Water leak when it rains.

I have a 2011 CX 7 with a sunroof. My car stays parked all week and when it rains the carpet gets wet on the passenger side floorboard and today I noticed it was under the passenger seat also. The seat itself is dry so I don't think the sunroof is leaking directly onto the floor. I thought it may be the windshield leaking at the upper right corner but I don't think it would be under the seat. The windshield or sunroof has never been replaced as far as I know. I bought the car used last year and started to notice the problem about 4 months ago. How can I remove the panels that run from the ceiling to the floor between the front and rear doors to see if water is maybe running down the side of the cabin down to the floor. Any tips on finding leaks like this? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Default New info

Well I got an idea to tape plastic over my sunroof before it rained. I did that and it rained for two days. Opened the car and it was bone dry! So now my problem is how do I find and fix the leak in the sunroof. Just looking at the seal all around the window on the roof, I can't see any place where water leaks in. I can't see the edges of the sunroof inside the car. Do I need to take off the entire headliner or is there a replacement gasket I can buy or is this a professional job??

Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

There is at least 2, maybe 4 drain pipes/hoses running from the sunroof to 2 maybe 4 corners of the vehicle. Front drain run down a "A" Pillar or pillars & rear runs down a "D" pillar or pillars. Most likely one or more are blocked.

*** note, diagram is from a RHD CX-7 ***

Attached Thumbnails Water leak when it rains.-sunroof-cx7.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

These drains that grim mentions are most often the problem, but they drain into the rocker panels, so make sure those drains are clear as well.
A little low pressure, pressurized air can often clear a clog like the one you describe. Use too much pressure and the drain hose which is usually only a press fit onto the fitting, will blow off and then you'll have to take the sunroof apart to fix that.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Thanks Grim and Virgin! Are the rocker panels like the floor panel underneath the door? Do I just pry that up with a screw driver or does it go under the car?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:44 PM
Default With the sunroof completely open, I see no drainage holes from the sunroof.

I took off the plates that cover the threshold under the door and found no dirt under that. The last think I can try is to take off the panels that cover up the airbags that run along the right side of the windshield. That has to be the only other place water can be coming in. That is kind of strange because I get a slight bit of water under the passenger seat. But I'll check it out. Any advice when removing the panels that cover up the air bag??? I'm kind of worried about messing that up....If this isn't it then I give up.!!

Old 07-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Default Problem solved!

The drain for the sunroof is a tube on each side of the sunroof that is a rubber tube that is under the cover that holds an airbag between the windshield and the passenger window! It ends up in the engine compartment under the hood! Why they just didn't run it straight down behind the front wheel is a mystery. Anyway, the little black rubber hose was never connected at the factory!! Yes! The tube was a good 2 inches away from where it was supposed to be plugged in. There is NO clamp that holds this tube to the drain outlet from the gutter that goes around the sunroof. I put one in. I've come across quite a few bad designs on this CX-7, but for some reason, I still like it!

Old 01-20-2020, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by dgonsoulin
The drain for the sunroof is a tube on each side of the sunroof that is a rubber tube that is under the cover that holds an airbag between the windshield and the passenger window! It ends up in the engine compartment under the hood! Why they just didn't run it straight down behind the front wheel is a mystery. Anyway, the little black rubber hose was never connected at the factory!! Yes! The tube was a good 2 inches away from where it was supposed to be plugged in. There is NO clamp that holds this tube to the drain outlet from the gutter that goes around the sunroof. I put one in. I've come across quite a few bad designs on this CX-7, but for some reason, I still like it!
Where is the bottom of the drivers side sunroof drain tube located? I cant see it anywhere and my car has been flooding when it rains.