Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Recommended Oil for CX-7

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by rosario1991
So you prefer full synthetics?
Of course he prefers synthetic oil; it is superior to conventional in every performance metric there is for engine oil, errr, except for price per liter.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:18 PM

Yes.

I have full synthetic oil and an oil filter designed for synthetic oil

Normal recommended oil change with reg oil is 5 - 7K miles.

With synthetic, I can go 10K miles.

Less often to have to change oil. :-)

Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 PM

Synthetic in a turbo is fine. The damage to turbos due to oil is owner ignorance. Before you start calling me names, I'm not saying that in a mean way. It's just that turbo charged motors need a cool down period after being driven, and if owners of turbos knew that, they would allow that period before shutting down the motor.

Everyone knows that exhaust flow powers the turbo. Oil is pumped thru the turbo to lube the bearings. How hot is that oil getting running thru the turbo? Very. So the common unknowing owner pulls up to their destination and turns off the motor. That extremely hot turbo then proceeds to cook the oil that is left in it. Yum.

By allowing the motor to idle after you reach you destination, even for 2 min., the turbo is allowed to cool down, the oil in the crankcase is allowed to cool down. Everything is happy.

You can purchase a aftermarket turbo timer that works like a reverse remote start. Shut the key off and walk away. Motor will run for a few minutes and then shut itself down. Thus extending the life of your oil and your turbo.

Sorry if I rambled on. Mazda turbos get a bad rap and it's not all their fault.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:32 PM

Thanks.

I am a VERY mellow driver and let my motor idle b4 shutting it off.

I read that the turbo is most in use when drivers are "lead foots."

I am not.

I have had oil analyses of my oil.

It has shown no problems.

Have a good evening. :-)

Old 12-09-2016, 12:42 PM

This makes no sense. Synthetic oils are better than conventional in every single category. Why in he world would Mazda say not to use them?

Old 12-09-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Golferken55
This makes no sense. Synthetic oils are better than conventional in every single category. Why in he world would Mazda say not to use them?
Mazda is currently recommending 0W-20 oil in most if not all of their cars; oil in the 0W-20 grade is only available as synthetic oil. Where did you get the impression Mazda recommends against using synthetic oil?

Old 12-09-2016, 04:15 PM

Earlier post . Someone had posted that Mazda does NOT recommend synthetic. Which I call bullhsit on.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mazda doesn't recommend synthetic oil in rotary engines.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Mazda doesn't recommend synthetic oil in rotary engines.
Agreed, synthetic oil works too well as a solvent which removes necessary sealing deposits of the apex seals. That said, for the moment at least, Mazda is out of the rotary engine business so all of the engines they are currently producing come with a factory requirement of synthetic oil.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Yes. THe old rotary engine. But aside from that one engine, synthetics are the best for any other gasoline engine imho. That's common knowledge I think.

Quick Reply: Recommended Oil for CX-7